Cora Tea Party Princess's Reviews > The Bone Season

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

it was ok

The last 20% of this was actually OK, but there were so many things about this book that I couldn't stand it was too little too late. It was a pity, I'#d heard such great things and thought I was going to love this.

Take an alternate universe and barely describe it. Then add about a gazillion different types of clairvoyant (voyant) and don't actually explain what the majority of them actually do. Then, jumble up time so that the reader realises that what she's actually read as about two weeks has in fact been several months... And yeah... I wasn't a fan.

Not a lot of things in this book make sense and I think the biggest thing was the hundreds of different types of unnaturals. They were never properly explained. You were just thrust into the world with the barest of descriptions and made-up-words. No thank you. I like to read descriptions, to know what places and people look like.

Then there's the whole Reph thing. These creatures NEED the voyants to survive. They need them to feed off and to kill the Buzzers. So every "bone season", which is every ten years, they take delivery of some voyants who have been kidnapped and tortured for sometimes almost 10 years. Then, they beat them and starve them. Seriously, they NEED these voyants to survive so they torture them almost to death and then they starve them to death. Despite the fact that they don't even get 50 every ten years. Makes no sense at all and it seriously bugged me for the majority of the book. NO SENSE HURTS MY HEAD.

There's a relationship in this book that from the word "go" reminded me far far too much of Sonea and Akkarin in Trudi Canavan's Black Magician's Trilogy. It was predictable to the point of being roll-your-eyes-boring.

But the non-stop action in the last 20% of this book redeemed it a little. I kept turning the pages to read more. The ending was pretty abrupt though, but a nice way to leave it. It ends in such a way that you won't need to read the next one. Which is good, as I hate not continuing in a series even if it sucks, as the reader's usually left with enough bait to grab the next one.

I received a copy of this for free via NetGalley for review purposes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Season.

October 10, 2013 – Started Reading
October 10, 2013 – Shelved
October 10, 2013 –
28.0% "Uh oh, this is dragging already. And it's so bloody long. And I'm so bloody confused with all these bloody terms."
October 11, 2013 –
38.0% "Blah."
October 14, 2013 –
63.0% "Meh... I'm not enjoying this much, which is disappointing as so many people have raved about it."
October 15, 2013 –
73.0% "Plenty of action, but I'm so confused by all these made up words I can't enjoy it"
October 16, 2013 –
81.0% "If you've read Black Magicians Trilogy you may as well give this a miss... It's Sonea and Akkarin all over again, only Truck Canavan did it better."
October 17, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ I did not like this one, definitely draggy.

Cora Tea Party Princess I'm also wondering if there's going to be another huge info dump. It's a shame, I'd heard good things about it.

message 3: by Keeleigh (new) - added it

Keeleigh Oh no, I wanted to read this one. Is there anything to redeem it? If not I'll save it for my post-Christmas slump.

Cora Tea Party Princess Keeleigh wrote: "Oh no, I wanted to read this one. Is there anything to redeem it? If not I'll save it for my post-Christmas slump."
Not yet, but then again I haven't really been compelled to pick it back up. It's like time is jumping around, and it's too much for me.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Bummer it didn't work for you either; this is spot on.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell OMG yes, the last 20% was like HUNGER GAMES or something. Like you, though, I wish that she'd spent more time fleshing out this world and making it seem more plausible and natural.