Allison (Well-Read Reviews)'s Reviews > Random Magic

Random Magic by Sasha Soren

Oct 08, 2009

Recommended to Allison (Well-Read Reviews) by: The author.
Recommended for: Anyone who loved Harry Potter or a Series of Unfortunate Events.
Read in October, 2009

Random Magic is truly.. random. The first chapter seems to be off the wall and hard to understand – but only at first. One must continue reading to fully grasp the quirky, eccentric, and brilliant style that is Sasha Soren. (It also helps to have a dictionary handy).

Once Henry comes into the picture, the book (for me) read with much more ease. As a student at (enter long-quirky-title-here), his professor, Professor Random, insists that he misplaced Alice from Alice in Wonderland. Yes, the professor lost a character from a book. The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland was now just, “The Adventures of in Wonderland.” Henry thought it was weird too. The request from the professor though, was that if Henry doesn’t jump into the book and find her, the world (as we know it) will end! Henry feels as if his professor is a bit of a wack job, but humors him anyway – until he actually finds himself thrown into a book (but the wrong one!)

His first adventure in this wonderful, zany, phenomenal world introduces him to a small-time witch, Winnie Flapjack. This woman has no fear. No fear, even though she is being prepped to be burned at the stake by the hateful townspeople. Henry comes to the rescue and pairs up with this interesting character who seems to know her way around this magical world. This is good considering Henry has no idea where he is or what he is up against.

All while trying to find Alice, the two find themselves in many different (sometimes thrilling) situations requiring them to think quickly and follow their gut (wherever it may lead!) It also helps that Winnie has her magic feather handy.

I found Random Magic to be brilliantly written. At times it reminded me of Harry Potter (with the word play) and at other times it felt like something I would be reading in some philosophy class with all it’s metaphors and such. There is definitely more to this story than meets the eye. Brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Random Magic.