Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)'s Reviews > Darkness Watching

Darkness Watching by Emma L. Adams

bookshelves: reviewed-on-blog

THIS IS AN ADVANCE REVIEW. Date to be posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts: October 10, 2014

Note: Formatting and pictures are lost due to copy and paste.

Disclaimer: Review copy provided by Curiosity Quills Press via Netgalley for review – Thanks!

Okay, wow. I'm so behind with writing reviews, I kind of slacked off a little... along with other factors (the not so controllable factors).

On the bright side, I actually did catch up with my reading schedule during Thanksgiving Break. Like I said, best thing ever invented. The inventor deserves a hug.

Back to talking about Darkness Watching. It's a very interesting and unique concept with demons and sorcerers/magic-users (it could be witches. Most common name used throughout the book are those two, so feel free to correct me) in a school setting – well, particularly a college setting. It's making me a bit curious about how the British school system works. Well, I'm a tad bit confused on that... the dictionary wasn't – and isn't – entirely friendly. I might understand the book better then.

*brushes off and doesn't even count since it's a random, erudite-ish thought of mine...*

Speaking of the book's setting, it seems that most of the time, the characters are in a club. And getting drunk. Not that the main character, Ashlyn (aka Ash), is.... but speaking of Ash, she seems to be the type that easily succumbs to peer pressure. She is still, however, a strong heroine.

Random thought, but Leo apparently reminds me of Rick Riordan's Leo Valdez from The Heroes of Olympus series. Their humor and personality – and their namesake! (now I just need to find out if this particular Leo is Spanish...) – are almost the same, they could probably pass as twins.

Imagine that. A demigod and a sorcerer.... O_o It's not a bad thing; I kind of enjoy Leo as a character (from both series now). :3

In terms of grammar, it's virtually spotless, aside from a few tiny mistakes here and there. Nothing distracting though (I'm assuming it's not an ARC since it was on Netgalley after the publication date...). :)

In the overall view though, I enjoyed reading Darkness Watching; it's a fresh take with the combinations of demons and sorcerers/magic-users!
Not everyone runs screaming out of their interview.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Watching.

October 10, 2013 – Shelved