Christie's Reviews > Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Oct 07, 2009

bookshelves: fiction

I'm vascilating between three and four stars. I lean towards three only because The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my favorite books of all time and so my expectations were high.

What a creepy, twisted book! So fun! This is the story of enmeshed twins who live in their aunt's haunted flat in London. I especially enjoyed the sub-plot of Martin and Marijke. I think my favorite part had to be the history of Highgate Cemetary that was woven in throghout the book. Also, the poetry references in the book were awesome. (Now that I'm writing my review I lean toward four stars.) And the ending was very cool. The last paragraph, amazing. Oh, and Niffenegger certainly knows the art of sculpting language.

I was put off by the sister relationships going on in the book. I think this is because I read the author's graphic novel, The Three Incestuous Sisters, and while these characters weren't incestuous, they had a very unnerving relationship.

3.5 stars. How's that?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Fearful Symmetry.

October 7, 2009 – Shelved
October 7, 2009 –
page 1
0.25% "Yippee. I cannot wait!"
October 7, 2009 –
page 13
3.2% "13 pages into heaven!"
October 10, 2009 –
October 12, 2009 –
page 401
October 12, 2009 – Shelved as: fiction
October 12, 2009 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa I haven't wanted to read this book because I loved Time Traveler's Wife and I worry this will a) not live up to it and b) make me not love that book as much, especially if it's as raunchy. I still haven't decided.