Katrina's Reviews > Animal's People

liked it
bookshelves: adult, historical-fiction
Recommended for: Those Who like Their Books a Little Off the Wall
Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

This book was hard for me to get into. Animal's People is a clever book but it was one of those books that, while I was content to read it while I was physically holding the open book on my lap, as soon as I put it down to go do something else, I felt no compulsion whatsoever to pick it up again. However, despite effectively tackling an important issue—the Bhopal chemical disaster of 1984—Animal's People is perhaps too clever for its own good. Unless you have expert knowledge of Urdu, Hindi and French in addition to English subtleties will be missed. Even with the assistance of the glossary at the back of the book to help define many of the non-English words, I felt like I’d been left out of some clever joke.

To a big extent, Animal is the kind of character you can’t help but pity. However, by the end of the book, Animal makes some surprising decisions and stands up for himself in an honorable way and my opinion of him changed significantly by the end of the book once I realized that he had grown into a strong, intelligent young man. His character shows that the adaptability of human beings is amazing.

Warning!!! In good consciousness, I have to warn that if you are sensitive to hardcore swearing and reading about a young man’s obsessive desire to get laid for the first time, this might not be the book for you. Animal is a sexually vulgar character who swears freely and openly narrates his opinions about masturbation, climbing trees to spy on his nude, female friends and trying to cope with his seemingly constant struggle of getting unwanted erections in public places. Several of the characters engage in repeated conversations about the unusual size of Animal’s penis and how unfortunate it is that such a magnificent tool is attached to someone no woman would want to sleep with. While I largely stopped noticing these things (as Animal matures, the foul language tapers off) it is definitely there.

I thought, this novel took a bizarre turn in the third act and rushed to an unsatisfying ending that seemed out of place with what came before. I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head who absolutely needs to rush out and read this book immediately but I’m glad a read it.
Recommended, but certainly not everyone's cup of chai.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal's People.

Mathis Bailey As a lover of Indian fiction, this wasn't my cup of tea. I did not like the way the story was written. I thought the conversations between the characters were silly and a waste of time. I mean, there were times when the story didn't go anywhere or made sense. However I didn finished it and felt accomplished, but dissappointed. I was hoping for it to be good by the looks of the cover.

Mathis Bailey And as I recall, most of the book is about Animal wanted to get his rocks off.