Toi Thomas's Reviews > CassaStorm

CassaStorm by Alex J. Cavanaugh

bookshelves: rated, reviewed, sci-fi

I must admit that this book was the hardest of the series to read, but it was not a bad difficulty. This book is challenging and Cavanaugh honors his readers by not dumbing down or softening the edges of deeper issues at hand. Yes, there is still plenty of action and use of powers, but the sociological impact of this story is what makes the lack of smiles and sunshine all worth it.

In the first two books, readers had an opportunity to travel the usual gambit of emotions in a story such as this: thrill, happiness, hope, sadness, suspense, etc… In this book, however, we readers have the opportunity to face our own insecurities, senses of pride, and even our regrets as we empathize with Byron and his struggle to save not only the galaxy but his precious family.

War, politics, and the most dangerous of words people dare not speak, racism, is what fuels this story. Of course, this is all happening in a galaxy far away and in another time, but this is a universal struggle: past and present, fiction and reality.

The thought that the end of the world could be avoided by simply getting along with those different from you or allowing a Cassan to marry a Tgren and let their child grow in peace is profound. But not as profound as when a father lets the dark skinned destroyer of his brother hold his son’s life in his hands as a gesture of peace.

I’ve probably already said too much. This is a story that will stick with you long after you’ve read it.

Highly recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read CassaStorm.

October 8, 2013 – Shelved