Alejandro's Reviews > Alice in Wonderland: The Vampire Slayer

Alice in Wonderland by J.J. Maddox

liked it
bookshelves: alternate-reality, horror, magic, paranormal, wonderland, short-story, retelling, fairy-tales

Enjoyable enough, but it could be better

IN EVERY GENERATION THERE IS AN...ALICE?!

Since I decided to read this book, I knew that it won't be any literature wonder (pun intended) but I didn't regret my decision.

Indeed it wasn0t any reading masterpiece, but enjoyable enough.

It was a quick fun reading.

The story gave me just what I was expecting, a retelling of the classic Alice in Wonderland but with a vampire oriented angle.

I think that the author did a fair job merging the original storyline with the new vampire approach.

CURIOUSER AND BLOODIER

Something that I quite enjoyed is that here, the Cheshire Cat got a status way over the Caterpillar.

I don't hate the Caterpillar but I always liked better the Cheshire Cat.

And lately in various retellings like Zenescope's Wonderland and Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, I felt that the Caterpillar was presented more powerful and/or wiser.

But here, in this retelling, the Cheshire Cat seems without a doubt with more experience than the Caterpillar.

However, I would expected a little more of character development on Alice, taking in account that she is definitely not the regular Alice that you may being acquainted. Oh, you get the whole picture of how was her life since she was younger (in the story she is 16 years old) and how her family has a long line of slayers.

In that, the author not only got elements from Alice in Wonderland as the core setting but also got elements from Buffy, the Vampire Slayer stating that Alice thinks that only women can be slayers.

Still, a little more to define a tridimentional character could be appreciated and not just being the basically expected result from merging "Wonderland's Alice" with "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer".

You will get some twists and surprises, especially on the climax of the plot. (Easy, no spoiler! Hehehe)

So, while it's not a spectacular book, if you are fan of "Wonderland" related stuff and/or vampire related stuff, well, this an acceptable option, after all, you only invest like 2 hours at most to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice in Wonderland.

October 8, 2013 – Started Reading
October 8, 2013 – Finished Reading
September 25, 2016 – Shelved as: short-story
January 8, 2018 – Shelved as: retelling
January 8, 2018 – Shelved as: fairy-tales

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Apatt (new)

Apatt "you only invest like 2 hours at most to read it."

Alejandro Apatt wrote: ""you only invest like 2 hours at most to read it."

At the speed I read may be 3! I'm glad you read it and reviewed it (very well) though, so I don't have to :)"

Hehe, you're welcome! ;)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Awesome review, Kuya Alejandro. I'm reading something quite like this...about Cinderella as a zombie slayer. Lol!

message 4: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew Nice review Alejandro! In the last years, It looks like there is an exploration of the dark side of this story, with so many version about it.

message 5: by Myrna (new)

Myrna Nice review. I like the title. Too bad it wasn't spectacular!

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol Did I mention I don't like Alice but this might work.

message 7: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic Nice review!
Igor

Alejandro Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Awesome review, Kuya Alejandro. I'm reading something quite like this...about Cinderella as a zombie slayer. Lol!"

Hahaha, yes, the analogy works hahaha.

Alejandro Andrew wrote: "Nice review Alejandro! In the last years, It looks like there is an exploration of the dark side of this story, with so many version about it."

Hi, Andrew, indeed there are a lot of twists and altered versions about this classic tale ;)

Alejandro Myrna wrote: "Nice review. I like the title. Too bad it wasn't spectacular!"

Hi, Myrna ;) Yes, too bad that it wasn't any better but at least it was enjoyable taking in account that it was a quick read.

Alejandro Carol wrote: "Did I mention I don't like Alice but this might work."

Hehehe, it's a quick reading, Carol, so you may give it a try, it won't take you more than a couple of hours ;)

Alejandro Igor wrote: "Nice review!
Igor"

Thanks, Igor!

message 13: by Gautam (new)

Gautam Very interesting review, Alejandro !

Alejandro Gautam wrote: "Very interesting review, Alejandro !"

Thank you, Gautam!