Erotic Horizon's Reviews > Cover Me

Cover Me by L.B. Gregg

Oct 07, 2009

Read in October, 2009

4.25 Stars

When Michael “Finn” Finnegan is fired by security specialist Max Douglas under less than ideal circumstance, he had no idea that a few months later they would be sharing rooms in the same boys dorm.

Finn a drama teacher in a private prep school takes his job as seriously as any teacher would who happen to be responsibly for a bunch of boys. With little to break up their days Finn and the boys gets on like a house and fire, so when he finds out one evening that his nemesis Max Douglas will not only be protecting one of the students but he would be sharing very near accommodation with them all – lets just say Finn was not a happy bunny.

The last time Max saw Finn, it was to fire him, however being the professional that he is – he is all business when he meets him again. With a job to do he barely acknowledges Finn and treats Finn as he would any underling trying to derail his plan.

Something's cannot be ignored and Max and Finn had and still have a red hot attraction between them that just refuse to go away despite their best attempt to ignore it. With a litany of cast and little situations disrupting the dorm rooms Max and Finn barely gets anytime to be with each other.

The little time they do get, it hot and steamy and down right carnal. As much as Max is there to protect his client, someone has plans for Finn and Max despite all his skill may just be too late to save Finn.

I remember when the cover of COVER ME went live on L.B. Gregg’s website, I was so excite about this new book. After reading the first two in her Men Of Smithfield series, I was eager to get on the bus earmarked to be passing through Smithfield again.

The books opens on a rather catchy note, we meet Max and Finn getting it on and then the heartbreak unfold and it looks like our two heroes are destined not to have a smooth time of it.

When an assignment brings Max back into Finn’s life – he is not happy about it but he is a professional and he accepts it with good grace after all the safety of his charges are the most important thing to him. While Max is being the big man on the job – Finn’s inner voice has taken control of him and for every sane thought he had about Max his inner voice which is a right slut is thinking of ways to get into Max’s pants.

Max is a harder cookie to crumble and I loved him for that – total alpha male and destined to be in charge. He takes his job very seriously but can only hold out for so long before he pounces on Finn and demand his undivided attention. I find Max’s take attitude a definite turn on and Ms Gregg uses words like hunt and prowl and I was loving it.

Ms. Gregg is onto another winner with COVER ME. Not only did she come out blazing with her own brand of build up but she once again uses word to their best to give us an insight into Finn’s and Max’s complicated relationship.

He scoped me out, wide eyed. Even from across the room, I could see the tiny shake of his shoulders. His face relaxed. After a second, a smile surfaced--then he chuckled. At last, full out laughter transformed him into someone approachable. Someone likeable. Someone I craved knowing. I absolutely had to hear the sound of his laughter. I teetered through the crowd of grinding, freaking, sweaty dancers determined to get closer. The kids dodged my girth. The music pulsed through my skin, my heart pounding along with it. I was transported back to nights wasted in clubs years ago. Back then I was alone and needing some indefinable thing that sex could give me--that same thing I feared I now needed from Max and he could never provide. I moved close enough to hear his deep grumbling laughter. I shouldn't want to. I should have been insulted to be the source of his amusement. Instead, as ever, he was deliciously melting my butter.

Cover me © L.B. Gregg

Ms Gregg was very circumspect in her smut scene, and as hot and down and dirty as they were – with the men literally living in a boys dorm it is a credit to her style for the restraint her protags show for not jumping each others bones every chance they got with all the hormonal over eager teenagers around.

One of the highlight of the book was the barrage of little email that filtered right through the book between staff and student and everybody else in between.

: Dean of Students (dean@daltonprep.org)

To: All School

The annual Halloween dance will begin at 8 p.m. and end promptly at 10. A $2 donation is to be collected for the Smithfield Food Pantry Thanksgiving Turkey Drive.

Prizes awarded for most original costume. Please come suitably attired. No nudity, profane slogans, or lewd costumes. Period. No grinding, freaking or offensive dancing. My definition of offensive stands: I'll know it when I see it.

Mr. Stacy

Cover Me © L.B. Gregg

I can honestly say, these email brought me back down memory lane of what school life was like as well as provided much of the humour in the book. There was one scene where Ms. Gregg absolutely excel herself and I was cracking up with laughter – think party and toaster,not saying any more.

I laughed, I got pissed and I totally loved fell in love with Finn and Max. While Ms. Gregg gave us nothing of Smithfield itself, the mystery that the book is written around was neat and tidy and with an old face making an appearance it brought home the fact that this was actually Smithfield.

The support cast were a hoot and although the bulk were teenagers Ms. Gregg definitely got the handle of a formal school setting and the laxness of what teenagers get up to with modern technologies at their finger tips and a whole lot of ingenuity down on paper very well.

As a third book it was certainly worth reading. Ms. Gregg’s breezy sort of fast pace style rings true in COVER ME and she didn’t fluff around on the unnecessary thing, which made this book a pleasure to have read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cover Me.

message 1: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY Great review! Thanks. I was planning to read this today but now that you said Finn and Max have already been getting it on ("we meet Max and Finn getting it on and then the heartbreak unfold") and I'm not fond of stories where the protags already have a sexual history. I don't like missing all that fun and tension when two strangers meet and the red-hot attraction sizzles between them.

But I'll still read it. Just a matter whether I'll bump it up.