Karolyn Sherwood's Reviews > Visitation Street

Visitation Street by Ivy Pochoda

bookshelves: fiction

What an incredible talent! Ivy Pochoda is one of my new favorite authors.

The front flap will tell you that VISITATION STREET is about the disappearance of "June," a fifteen-year old girl who goes out in a raft in the bay off Red Hook, Brooklyn, with her best friend Val. But somehow, the story isn't really about June's disappearance in the typical police procedural/crime novel way. The story is about the people of Red Hook—the imperfect, struggling, conflicted people of a disadvantaged neighborhood—who are connected to the event in very different ways.

Pochoda, who used to live in Red Hook, wrote this novel in present tense. She leads us down the local sidewalks and makes us feel like we are walking along the broken, eerie streets with each character as he or she tells us how they are affected by or dealing with June's disappearance. The story is quiet, yet captivating.

I should say that it took me a few chapters to really get into the story, but I think that was because I was expecting something much different, a typical mystery, if you will. VISITATION STREET is Literary first, Mystery second. But the more I read, the more I loved this book. Pochoda's turn of a phrase or description of ... well, basically, anything, is phenomenal. Every single sentence is perfect.

I could go on and on about this book: the setting, the characters, the plot, the writing ... It's all superb.

Don't hesitate: Read this book.

Five Bright Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Visitation Street.

October 8, 2013 – Started Reading