Sasha Alsberg's Reviews > The Murder Complex

The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings

SPOILER FREE!
When I first heard the title of The Murder Complex I immediately thought of one thing: Blood. The title stayed true to the book because let me say, The Murder Complex was one gruesome read!

TMC (The Murder Complex) is Lindsay Cummings debut novel and while lots of debut novels can go wrong, this one went right! Like every book, it had its flaws but within those flaws it has potential. When Lindsay contacted me asking if I wanted an ARC of her book a few months ago, I could not turn down the Harper Collins author’s request. It seemed like such a compelling read that even if she never contacted me, I would probably still pick it up in stores once it comes out June 10th.

The plot line for The Murder Complex was such captivating dystopian read. Fans of Legend, Divergent and The Hunger Games are bound to gravitate toward The Murder Complex. TMC takes place in duel point of view between Meadow Woodsen and Zephyr James. Both characters story lines were interesting and very different. While Meadow was trained to survive this corrupt world where the murder rate is higher then the birth rate, Zephyr is an orphan (ward) who keeps his head low and tries not to attract any attention. I liked the alternating POVs, my only criticism with them is that the chapters could only be 3 pages long at certain points and sometimes I would’ve liked to stay in one of their heads a bit longer. But then again, it was nice that the chapters weren’t too long because it made it a faster read with non-stop action.

I don’t recommend this book to those of you who are squeamish about blood because this book is VERY bloody and graphic. Meadow and Zephyr both kill people throughout the course of the novel but while Zephyr feels remorse about his kills, Meadow doesn’t. It makes me think that Meadow is a psychopath. I would’ve liked to seen a bit more emotion come from her, not just toughness even though she does break down at one point in the book. I also would of liked to see some more character development between the two. I felt that the beginning of Zephyr and Meadow’s relationship was a bit forced but it toned down toward the middle of the novel and I liked that a lot. Sometimes in novels a relationship needs to take the backseat in order to really focus at the matter at hand. Except if it’s a romance book, then that’s okay! I do ship these two characters together; they really seem to care about each other and at the end of the day, that’s really all that matters. They balance each other out; Zephyr teaches Meadow how to trust while Meadow teaches Zephyr how to survive.

The whole deal with the Initiation and The Murder Complex was VERY interesting because I did not see half of those plot twists coming, even if some of them could be predictable. I do wish the world was explained a bit more, but then again, that’s part of the whole mystery.

Honestly, I would never want to live in a world like this. THAT’S WHY THIS BOOK IS SO INTERESTING. It makes the unbelievable, believable. If a person gets killed right in front of you in this dystopian world, you barely give it a second glance. But in our world if somebody gets killed right in front of you… You run as fast as your little fangirl/boy feet can take you (then you get help and some therapy)!

The Murder Complex captivates its readers with its fast paced storyline and powerful characters. In certain aspects of the book, there is definitely room for improvement but over all, this book series has so much potential and I can definitely see it going far. Keep up the awesome work Lindsay!

P.S. I cant believe such a nice and lovely woman like Lindsay could write such a mind boggling and bloody book… GO Lindsay!

I give The Murder Complex 4/5 stars. Make sure you pick it up at your local bookstore June 10, 2014!

Fandomsnews.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder Complex.

October 7, 2013 – Shelved
October 7, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
January 22, 2014 – Started Reading
January 26, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Zoë  ♡ I really want to go ahead and read this book (after the many others I have to read first though) would you recommend it?:) ★

Alex Wester Can't wait to read it! Your reviews help me out a lot so thank you!

message 3: by Saphira (new)

Saphira Moonstone I am very squeamish about blood, but I really like Divergent and Hunger Games. I feel that Hunger Games was too gruesome, but Divergent could be (like the butter knife in the eye). I watch crime shows, but close my eyes during autopsies or gory deaths. I want to read this. Do you think it would be okay?

Breanne Saphira - Personally, I think some of the scenes are much more gory than The Hunger Games and the butter knife scene in Divergent. I personally would not reccomend if you are quite squeamish, but you could also try the novella 'The Fear Trials', and see how you find that! :)

Writingwriterwhoreads I loved this book, thanks for the great recommendation Sasha! :D

message 6: by Destiny (new)

Destiny This book was amazing thanks for recommending it!!

message 7: by Maysoon (new) - added it

Maysoon K Love the review. Constructive criticism and I am So reading this!

message 8: by Georgia (new) - added it

Georgia Brenner Amazing review Sasha! You made me want to pick up this book right away! P.S I LOVE your channel!!!

ag123456 Lindsey and you wrote some two page chapters in your guys book, just wondering since you didn't like it in hers how that changed.