Shawna's Reviews > Sinful

Sinful by Charlotte Featherstone

bookshelves: author-charlotte-featherstone, historical-romance, erotic-romance-erotica-romantica, im-a-cover-hottie-ho, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, sizable-packages-size-matters, historical-romance-victorian, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, i-read-own-faves-keepers, 2010-reads, best-top-favorites, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, favorites, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, made-me-cry, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, favorite-beautiful-lush-cool-covers, heroine-plain-jane-uglyducklingswan, doctor-or-nurse-in-the-house-shrink, best-fave-reads-of-2010, cheating-fidelityissues-past-or-new, hh-addiction-recovery-sobriety, hh-blind-eyesight-impaired, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, 5-stars-plus, hero-brooding, star-crossed-lovers, heroine-mistress, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-servant-serving-working-class, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, controversial-memorable-event-scene, heroine-commoner-lower-class, hero-authentic-uber-rake, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, dirty-talk-turns-me-on, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, hero-uber-alpha-domineering, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-player-manwhore-sex-addict, hero-pissed-me-off-and-turned-me-on, hero-black-sheep, love-triangle-vying-courtships, ending-abrupt-poor-epilogue-needed, a-all-time-best-top-50-fave-dik, betrayal-is-such-a-bitter-pill, author-cf-sophie-renwick, hh-story-angst-drama-galore, hh-story-soap-opera-melodrama, a-all-time-best-favorites-treasures, a-will-stay-with-me-forever-gem
Recommended for: Fans of Addicted, steamy Victorian-era historical romance, angsty reads, & tortured rake heroes

5+ stars – Erotic Historical Romance

I’m a bit late writing my review for Sinful because I left for a trip almost immediately after I turned the last page, but I couldn’t resist doing a little bit of gushing over such an evocative, sensual, heart-wrenching, and lush read.

Addicted was one of my favorite reads of 2009, so my expectations for Sinful were extremely high, and I’m elated, ecstatic, and thrilled to say that it lived up to the anticipation, and more. In this emotionally hypnotic, darkly beautiful, erotically elegant, and sensually stunning story set in Victorian London, “disreputable heartbreaker” Lord Matthew, Earl of Wallingford, finds rapture, salvation, and redemption in the nurturing, loving arms of plain nursemaid, Jane Rankin.

Lord Wallingford is a notorious, wickedly debauched rake, scoundrel, and wastrel of the lowest order: he’s an emotionally empty, distant, and isolated, immoral, jaded, unfeeling, depraved, cynical, uncaring, cold, unconscionable, and shameless rogue with a world weary, broken soul who has vowed to never trust or be vulnerable to trivial, dangerous things like love.

When Wallingford, who considers himself to be “completely and unequivocally damaged beyond repair”, comes under the care of a smart, independent nurse with the voice of an angel, a giving heart, and a backbone of steel, the infamously dissolute rake finds reason to yearn, feel, hope, and love for the first time in his life. Matthew develops an immediate infatuation and becomes obsessed with finding out everything about his mysterious, headstrong nurse, and he is determined to unleash the volatile passion that burns between them. But will the discovery of her true identity, his internal darkness, and the painful, violent secrets from his torturous past shatter what they’ve found with each other?

Sinful is a beautiful, touching, poetic, emotional, lush, exquisite, and sensual love story that will stay with you long after you’ve finished reading it. And be sure to read the wonderful, heartwarming epilogue on the author’s website that provides a satisfying conclusion to the story...it definitely solidified my 5 star rating! Ms. Featherstone...thank you, thank you, thank you for another amazing read...Lord Wallingford sure made my inner hussy purr in blissful delight! Big 5 stars!

Here are a couple of my favorite Sinful quotes:

**********Possible spoilers**********

The human soul was an amazing thing; the willpower to survive, humbling. The capacity to love, frightening.

**********End spoilers**********

Note: This 5+ rating/review encompasses Sinful and the Sinful: Epilogue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sinful.

Quotes Shawna Liked

Charlotte Featherstone
“She was breathtaking in her beauty and her human spirit, he thought, unable to speak as he gazed upon her. Hers was the sort that would not fade or grow jaded with time and years, but flourish, grow more radiant with life and its experience. Hers was a beauty that no other possessed. A beauty he longed to keep, to hide away, to bask in, himself alone. She had become his. He didn’t know when, whether it had been the moment her fingertips had touched him when he was hurt, or if it had grown, like a seed, slowing spreading until Jane had become the root anchoring the shattered pieces of his heart, pulling them tight together until it resembled the organ it should.”

Charlotte Featherstone
“I can say that I have fallen deeper in love with you today, knowing the sort of man you are.”

Charlotte Featherstone
“Jane, you are my confidante, my helpmate, my friend. My lover. You are everything the word wife means to me. In my heart, we are wed. In my soul, you are mine.”

Charlotte Featherstone
“She saw how he was staring at it, the bright red hue beneath her bonnet. She could not bear to see the way he was looking at her—right through her—without seeing her. He did not see a woman. He did not see Jane, the woman he had been so passionate with two days before. He saw… Jane swallowed hard and looked
away, hating the weakness of her spirit. She was more than this, a wilting flower. She was stronger than this. But damn it, this hurt.

It hurt because he was the man responsible for making her burn. For making her feel like a woman. It hurt because it had been a trick. An illusion. And it hurt most of all because he did not see her, the woman she was behind the unfashionable spectacles and garish hair.”

Charlotte Featherstone
“...but he was incapable of shame.He had no conscience or soul.No heart, either.That has broken and died years ago.The leftover pieces had petrified in his chest, leaving stone shrapnel in a black, empty place that felt nothing.Just a yawning void of nothing.And he liked it that way...”

Charlotte Featherstone
“Matty,” Jane whispered, “what are you thinking?”
He smiled, kissed her navel before glancing up at her. “Barbaric thoughts.”
“You’re very pleased with yourself, aren’t you?”
He laughed and slid up the length of her body. “I am. It’s such a powerful
visual to know that my seed is responsible for the life within you and the
incredibly arousing changes in your body.
“And, I, of course, have nothing to do with it?”
“Jane,” he whispered, “let me have my moment of male glory.”
Charlotte Featherstone, Sinful: Epilogue

Charlotte Featherstone
“I do not know what to say, how to tempt you. If you had a price, I would pay it. If you desired particular words, I would say them. I would be anything you want, Jane. Just come back. Please come back.

- Matthew in a letter to Jane.”

October 6, 2009 – Shelved
February 5, 2015 – Shelved as: hh-story-angst-drama-galore
February 5, 2015 – Shelved as: hh-story-soap-opera-melodrama
February 5, 2015 – Shelved as: a-all-time-best-favorites-treasures
February 5, 2015 – Shelved as: a-will-stay-with-me-forever-gem

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

Kathleen LOL, My Birthday is May 9th, Mothers Day this year. Happy early Birthday Shawna!

message 2: by Shawna (last edited Apr 23, 2010 10:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Thanks, Kathleen! And Happy early B-day to you too, my Taurus sista'!

I'm so happy 'cause I found this at B&N today! Woo-hoo!

message 3: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ HAPPY (EARLY) BIRTHDAY SHAWNA and KATHLEEN!!

Kathleen Shawna wrote: "Thanks, Kathleen! And Happy early B-day to you too, my Taurus sista'!

I'm so happy 'cause I found this at B&N today! Woo-hoo!"

Oh Goody, My Taurus sista' will be reading the same book as I.

Thanks Karlyn

Shawna Thanks, KarLyn! :)

I've been soooo anxious for this one and know I'll be sad when it's over, so I better savor reading it! :)

Shawna I hope you liked it Kathleen. I just now found the time to review this.

Adrienne Oh what a heartfelt beautiful review Shawna.

message 8: by Auntee (last edited May 21, 2010 02:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee Wonderful review, Shawna! Wasn't it good?:)
That last quote made me tear up...

BTW, Happy Belated Birthday, Shawna & Kathleen!

Photobucket

message 9: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Nice, well written review, Shawna.

What's this about a birthday? Happy!

Kathleen What a great review Shawna, you have a special way of describing the characters.
Thank You Auntee for the belated Birthday Wish.

message 11: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Wonderful Review Shawna! Addicted and Sinful were so amazing, am on the edge of my seat to see what CF writes next!

Kathleen Rane wrote: "Wonderful Review Shawna! Addicted and Sinful were so amazing, am on the edge of my seat to see what CF writes next!"

Me Too! Charlotte writes it, I'm buying and reading.

Shawna --Thanks, ladies! *hugs*

"Addicted" was a total random buy 'cause I loved the cover, but then I read Hot in Here (CF's alter-ego Sophie Renwick) and loved it. Then I read "Addicted" soon after that and was blown away by it, and now "Sinful" has solidified CF (and SR) as an auto-buy author for me. I can't wait for her next book. I'm hoping maybe she'll write about one of Matthew's and Lindsay's friends from their club?

--Awww, thanks for the b-day wishes, too! *blush* *more, hugs*

Auntee Ohhhh, Sophie Renwick is Charlotte Featherstone? Ohh, I have "Hot in Here" staring at me on my shelf...I'm going to have to work it in somehow!

message 15: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth Great review! It's moving to the top of my TBR list!!

Shawna Auntee wrote: "Ohhhh, Sophie Renwick is Charlotte Featherstone? Ohh, I have "Hot in Here" staring at me on my shelf...I'm going to have to work it in somehow!"

Yep! It's gooood, and definitely hot!

Shawna Thanks, Ruth! :)

message 18: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph LOL "inner hussy purr ...", I love it! I will have to check this one out.

Shawna I hope you enjoy it, Steph! Wallingford is such a dark, angsty, sexy hero!

Ragus Beautiful review, Shawna!! Your adjectives create their own picture which is hard to resist! I can't wait to read Sinful!! :D

Shawna Thank you, Ragus! CF's evocative, lush writing and Wallingford's complex, rich character are certainly hard to resist. :)

message 22: by Loveliest Evaris (new)

Loveliest Evaris Holy crap that's a lot of shelves o_o

Shawna Yep...Sinful Wallingford fits into a lot of categories!