Daisy Sloan's Reviews > Symphony of Light and Winter

Symphony of Light and Winter by Renea Mason

bookshelves: for-review-not-lendable, msrbr, read-2013, alpha-male, erotic, parahuman, paranormal, romance, reunion

OMG! This book is not what I expected AT ALL! I’m not really sure what I was expecting but this wasn’t it! This is going to be a really hard review to write because I don’t want to give anything away. Part of the draw of this book is trying to figure out who and what Cyril is.

Cyril is an intriguing man who apparently died 10 years ago. Or so Linden thought. But now, here he is again. Linden thinks she’s losing her mind. Personally I would too!

Cyril is mysterious, dangerous, powerful and OMG sexy as hell! Cyril manages to screw up one thing after another. He’s rash, and to quote him, a selfish bastard! He’s a jerk! A complete and total jerk. He almost has no redeeming qualities. And then, you get his story and it all makes sense. It all makes sense why he’s a jerk and a selfish bastard. It makes him that much more lovable. It all makes sense.

Linden was hard for me to understand. I had a hard time connecting with her until about 60 percent into the book. About that point in time I began to understand her and feel for her. Before that I was frustrated with her and didn’t understand her reactions to Cyril.

There were a couple of ick moments for me in the book. But those ick moments added something to the story. Renea Mason has provided us with a unique story with unique characters. These characters are unique for multiple reasons. The ick factor just plays a part in that and makes it that much better. (It’s not that icky, just a little, but it works!) This is the first time I’ve seen a view like this on the paranormal and I loved it.

We are left with a cliffhanger. It’s a very unique cliffhanger and not one I was anticipating. Renea Mason caught me completely off guard with the resolution. It was definitely tension filled. The cliffhanger is a doozy and I can’t wait to see what happens in the next one.

Authors often choose the name of their book for a specific reason. Most of the time I get the name of the book and occasionally I do not. For the first half of the book I understood where Symphony and Light came into play. It wasn’t until the ending that I understood the Winter. It was a perfect title for this book.

Overall this was a unique story (yes, I’ve used that word a lot, but it FITS!) that was told pretty well. There were a couple of spots where I got frustrated but the rest of it worked so well, I was willing to push through those. Even my difficulty connecting to Linden didn’t deter me from pushing through, I was so enthralled with the rest of the story! I see many places this could go and many characters that have some real potential for the future books. I’m ready and can’t wait!

I received a copy of this from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Symphony of Light and Winter.

October 7, 2013 – Shelved
October 7, 2013 – Shelved as: on-kindle-tbr
October 7, 2013 – Shelved as: for-review-not-lendable
October 7, 2013 – Shelved as: msrbr
October 24, 2013 – Started Reading
October 24, 2013 –
71.0% "This is interesting. I can't decide exactly what category Cyril falls into. I'm enjoying the story and the take on paranormal. I'm having a hard time connecting with Linden though. She's tough to get a read on. Loving Cyril though. Such a tortured soul! Plus he's a jerk, but for a reason!"
October 26, 2013 – Shelved as: read-2013
October 26, 2013 – Shelved as: alpha-male
October 26, 2013 – Shelved as: erotic
October 26, 2013 – Shelved as: paranormal
October 26, 2013 – Shelved as: parahuman
October 26, 2013 – Shelved as: romance
October 26, 2013 – Shelved as: reunion
October 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Lady Heather Great review, Lee Anne!

Daisy Sloan Thanks! I liked this book. I'm ready for the next one.