Nina's Reviews > The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care

The Healing of America by T.R. Reid

U 50x66
Oct 05, 2009

Read in December, 2009

This book was very engaging and well-written. A reporter with a bum shoulder goes to France, Germany, the UK, Japan, Canada, the U.S., and India to see what the doctors recommend to him for treatment, his options, how much treatment costs, how long he has to wait, how much the doctors are paid, and how the system works in general. Despite this nifty idea, fortunately, the points the author makes do not feel entirely anecdotal. He presents a very well-informed, clear and sober analysis of the U.S. health care system and how it compares with those in other developed countries. I thought his discussion of how the systems in Taiwan and Switzerland were recently reformed to provide universal coverage was especially interesting. The Swiss case made me realize that I was probably focusing too much on the public option in this debate, and that what matters most for controlling costs and covering everyone is that no one profits from providing insurance (private insurance companies are ok and do compete with each other, but they should be non-profit) and that the country makes up its mind that covering everyone is a moral responsibility. I knew a little bit about health care policy before reading this book, but I would definitely recommend this to anyone, whether you are already an expert on the topic or if you have been ignoring all the news on health care reform recently and don't know a thing about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Healing of America.