Soby's Reviews > What the Bride Didn't Know

What the Bride Didn't Know by Kelly Hunter

Oct 06, 2013

it was ok
bookshelves: romance

I didn't really enjoy this book and I think this was due mainly to the misleading synopsis. I thought this would be a romance with the two protagonists posing as newly weds to further a covert-ops type mystery sub-plot. Rather than an intentional ruse, the pretend honeymoon is because Lena, our likeable heroine, hits her head, suffers amnesia, and ends up believing she's married to Trig, our even more likeable hero. I know that there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief that goes with this genre. Okay, I'll buy that everyone is wealthy, preternaturally attractive (though a key plot point is that Lena's recovering from a devastating shooting that's left her scarred physically and emotionally), and has somehow managed to harbor a crush for nearly a decade without ever acting on it, but I'm not willing to eschew basics rules of science. The amnesia was just too contrived and unrealistic for me. On top of that, there was no actual action, as you might expect from a book where both main characters work for the secret service and are in Turkey on a "mission" (finding Lena's brother who went off-the-grid for revenge after Lena was shot).

The two stars are for what I did like: the description of Turkey and its food and culture, the far-from perfect heroine, and the moments of tension as Trig tried to resist Lena who was eager to enjoy their honeymoon.

Two stars = Didn't like it

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Bride Didn't Know.

10/06/2013 marked as: read