Kay's Reviews > The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

bookshelves: mystery-novels

A friend loaned this to my husband to read, and I just happened to pick it up on a night when I had nothing else to read. I couldn't put this book down. I stayed up that night reading over 100 pages. Then the next night the same thing. I finally finished it this weekend and loved every minute of it!

First disclaimer:
I LOVE dogs. I am the stranger that stops you while you're walking your dog to scratch it behind it's ears and call it a good puppy, even if it's a 150 pound Rottweiler.

Second disclaimer:
I married into a racing family that LOVES Indy racing. I have become thusly indoctrinated and also enjoy a good race alongside all the other men in my husband's family.

Put those two things together and this book was just meant to be in my hands!

The way that the author tells the story through the eyes of the dog, Enzo, is actually a fascinating idea that works beautifully! The racing analogies and metaphors that are used throughout the book are great, too. I feel like I not only learned a little more about racing, but a little more about how to apply those lessons to living life, too.

An emotional and deep read that keeps from becoming too serious through the levity of Enzo's narration, this is a book I definitely plan to own and read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Quotes Kay Liked

Garth Stein
“That which we manifest is before us; we are the creators of our own destiny. Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves.”
Garth Stein, The Art of Racing in the Rain