Vania's Reviews > Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie

Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater

Oct 05, 2009

bookshelves: my-shelf, to-review

BALLAD by Maggie Stiefvater is a compelling and enthralling tale of James a musical genius, a piper who is now attending Thornking-Ash, a school for the musically talented, alongside his ex-crush and friend Diedre. Diedre is battling her own demons that have carried over from LAMENT. But this is James’s story and James has been discovered by a mysterious girl, Nuala, who breathes into him inspiration and greatness but for a price. But all is not what it seems and Nuala makes sacrifices and some tough decisions herself all while a bigger plan is being hatched by Eleanor. James, Nuala and Diedre find themselves in a tangled web of life and death.
Maggie once again does a wonderful job of storytelling a complex and thrilling adventure. Although there were bits and pieces that felt slow, Maggie’s story is full of surprises and twists and turns. I enjoyed every minute and was left gasping at the end wondering at turn of events. BALLAD was well paced and entertaining to read and I recommended this to fans of fairies, folklore and urban fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ballad.

October 5, 2009 – Shelved
October 5, 2009 –
page 82
23.3% "YAY!!! More Maggie awesomeness!"
October 5, 2009 – Shelved as: my-shelf
October 5, 2009 – Shelved as: to-review
October 6, 2009 –
page 144
October 7, 2009 –
page 235
66.76% "So far I love Lament more... still love ballad. tho..."
Started Reading