Faye's Reviews > The Near Witch

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

Oct 05, 2009

bookshelves: paranormal, witches

Some people have said that “The Near Witch is one of those books you take your time to read and let it all sink in.” I have to second that notation.

Not only was Schwab’s writing spectacular, her characters were wise beyond their years. Everything they said stood with me in some way. It kind of opened my eyes more to the beauty of nature. From the way Schwab describes the swaying of the trees and how the night wind whispers...

I can’t help but see the comparison between Lexi’s people in her village to the people from the Salem Witch trials, especially the people in power. It was either you go along with what they say or your portrayed as a traitor. Lexi was the only brave person willing to go all “nancy drew” and find the REAL answers for all the missing children. She’s not the type of girl that’s “suppose” to stay at home and do “things young ladies are suppose to do.” That’s what I admired about her, she’s not your average heroine...she has a Katniss like quality to her, that grace and honesty.

All in all, I enjoyed TNW, I can’t wait to see what else Schwab’s has brewing up for us. Maybe a FAR witch lol jkjk
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Near Witch.

October 5, 2009 – Shelved