Ashley's Reviews > Afterparty

Afterparty by Ann Redisch Stampler

Oct 05, 2013

bookshelves: young-adult

I received this as a review copy and I'm so glad I did!

The story follows Emma as she moves from Canada to California with her father. Her mother dies earlier in her life and her father has raised Emma on his own. The move proves to be a huge culture shock for both of them. Emma has always been a "good girl". She prides herself on following the rules and doing her best in any way she can.

She begins her first few days at her new school and meets a new and exciting friend, Siobhan. Siobhan is basically the total opposite of Emma. She is a free spirit that takes no prisoners and does what she wants to do when she wants to do it. The two become fast friends and soon become inseparable. Sounds good right? We soon begin to question whether the friendship is a good idea after all. Is Siobhan a true friend? Or is she trying to lead Emma down a path of self destruction?

I thought the story itself was very interesting. This was one of those books that I couldn't stop reading. I just had to find out what was going to happen. I think the author did an excellent job of representing teenage life in an honest and fearless way. I appreciate that quality. There are so many YA authors that like to pretend that teenage life is easy and trouble free. This novel confronts many of the big teenage issues: drugs, alcohol, and sex. Not to mention the relational issues between friends and family.

The characters impressed me the most. I have never read a character in a YA novel that struck a chord with me like Siobhan did. I loved to hate her. The things she did to Emma evoked a guttural reaction with me. And I thought that Emma was very relatable character for many young girls, and even young women. She constantly struggles between trying to make good decisions and also wanting to rebel and express herself at the same time. I think that is a very common dilemma for young women, and I think those girls could really use this novel to learn something about what friendship truly is, and how to judge what is right and wrong.

This is a excellent contemporary novel that demonstrates how good YA novels can be if they are done well.

I'd highly recommend it, and I will read any future work from this author :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Afterparty.

Started Reading