Laura's Reviews > Once We Were

Once We Were by Kat Zhang

liked it
bookshelves: dystopias, ya, science-fiction, fantasy, romance

I had really high expectations for this book. I loved the first one and devoured it in a matter of hours. This one however, I read it over the course of two weeks. That is a LIFETIME for books in my custody. This slowness was because of two reasons.

Number one: the beginning was super slowly paced, at least to me. Like wow Addie and Eva are locked in the apartment. Eva's relationship with Ryan is going nowhere. They just sat in the apartment and listened to the others make plans or just do nothing at all. I'm a girl who loves a good action/romance/thought-provoking novel. This book only satisfied one of those, at least in the beginning. Never fear! The last 1/3 of the book was exactly how I like them. Lots of action and fast decision making.

Number two: there were a few thought-provoking sentences in the beginning that had me setting down the book and switching to another one. Without any spoilers all I can say is it took a while to process everything. This was partly because there was hardly any conversation or thought development. It pretty much up to the reader to figure a lot of things out and read between the lines to understand some of the emotions going around.

So with my complaints out of the way, lets get to the good stuff! This novel didn't pick up exactly where the last one left but it didn't leave huge gaps either. The things that occurred in that gap, were explained when they needed to be.

The action in the last 1/3 of the book was spectacular. The betrayals and heroism performed by certain characters was amazing and was totally unexpected considering the emotions leading up to the events. Some of the actions were expected though but I think that's a good thing considering that the author wants to make sure you can follow the story and have a half-hazed idea of where it's all leading. The complexity of having two souls to a body gave the story a unique twist from the rest of the books in this genre. Eva and Addie finally have to address the whole "this is both of our body's" thing which really left me thinking.

Final consensus: Pretty decent book all things considered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once We Were.

October 5, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read