Bridget's Reviews > Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World

Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder

Oct 06, 2007

bookshelves: biography
Recommended for: everyone

This might be one of the most inspiring books I've ever read. It's a biography of Paul Farmer, Harvard anthropologist and MD, who has devoted his life to trying to bring medicine to the world's poorest people. Farmer has spent many years in Haiti, so the book talks a lot about his work there, but it also delves into the many obstacles he has faced trying to get support for his work, and the unbelievable sacrifices he has made to help others. This story sucked me in from page one, and I came away feeling like there's just sooooo much more I could be doing to help others in my life -- but not in a bad, depressing way. I read this book two years ago, but I find myself thinking of it often, especially when I feel overwhelmed with all the commitments in my life. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mountains Beyond Mountains.

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

Stephanie This is an incredible book! Two days after I finished it, I met a physician from Africa who had worked with Farmer and enthusiastically concurred with the glowing portrayal of him in the book. Although I'm not sure I entirely agree with Farmer's philosophy on public health, I really liked the notion of helping people as we find them (rather than forming committees and getting organized, blah, blah, blah).