I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}'s Reviews > Far Shore

Far Shore by Traci L. Slatton

F 50x66

bookshelves: read-in-2013

I have recently discovered Traci L. Slatton's writing and I am completely enthralled with her series, The After Trilogy. Read my reviews of book one, Fallen, and book two, Cold Light. I never dreamed I'd love this series as much as I do. I was on pins and needles waiting for Far Shore, and I stopped everything (including the book I was reading at the time) to read this book.

Slatton did not disappoint my high expectations: I loved every single second of Far Shore. I did not want the book to end, and found myself trying to slow my reading pace, just to make the book last longer. Slatton's writing style makes this series so special. The best way I can describe the writing is that it's very intelligent without feeling too text-like. I found myself using my Kindle dictionary function several times, and I love being challenged like that.

The premise of the earth-destroying mists is so unique and well-executed. The people of the world live in constant fear of the mists, which consume people, animals, and structures alike. They leave a trail of devastation wherever they go. I really liked the fact that the mists lend a really intriguing sci-fi element to this series. Besides the lethal mists, there are groups of raiders who are terrifyingly inhumane. So, basically, there are dangers right and left in this series.

The series is set in the end times, hence the name The After Trilogy. I like books set in this time period because the trappings of every day life are rendered superfluous and day-to-day survival becomes key. I like that focus on living, especially because it allows the reader to see who the characters are at their core, with the usual concerns of daily life removed from the story. Slatton does an excellent job with her characterization and also with the relationships between characters. I've said it before: I can't believe that I'm just as invested in the love story as I am in the fate of the world, but I am. I am still shocked by Emma's choice, but I believe it was really the only choice she could make and stay true to her beliefs.

The After trilogy is a perfect example of why it's good for me to read different genres. This series is adult fiction and it's not to be missed. Sometimes I get so caught up in my young adult, and lately, new adult, series that I don't want to branch out into adult fiction, but I'm so glad I did. I finished this book feeling educated, entertained, and satisfied. I still think about this series, weeks later, and often wonder what the characters are doing now. This series is outstanding and I can't wait to read more from Traci Slatton!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Far Shore.

October 4, 2013 – Started Reading