Jessica's Reviews > Brunette Ambition

Brunette Ambition by Lea Michele

To anyone who knows me personally, I have a massive girl crush on Lea Michele. I started following her career back when I first heard some of the music from Spring Awakening, which was the same year that it was nominated for all of the Tony awards in 2007. (I can’t help it, I’m a Broadway musical nerd and I spend a lot of time in my car singing along to soundtracks)

Anyway, by the time Glee premiered in 2009 I had already been listening to the Spring Awakening soundtrack for two years and was already familiar with Lea’s amazing voice, but had never actually seen her perform other than in grainy bootleg versions of Spring Awakening on YouTube. Needless to say, I was basically hooked at the beginning.
Lea’s book follows her rise to stardom through the ups and downs of her Broadway career as a child in Les Miserables, Ragtime, and Fiddler on the Roof. She details her decision to have a normal high school experience before returning to workshop Spring Awakening and meeting her best friend J Groff. (Who, by the way, I had a giant crush on as well.)

The novel is interspersed with advice concerning personal health and beauty care, (I do plan on trying her bath routine to get smoother skin), healthy recipes that range from Vegan to Pescatarian, and beauty advice straight from her beauty team. Which, let’s face it, always make her look fabulous, so how can we ignore their advice?

I think the best part of Brunette Ambition is Lea’s ability to make the reader feel like she is talking directly to them, and the reader gets a chance to find out what all they might have in common with the singer/actress. For instance, Heathers is one of my favorite movies of all time, and evidently it is in Lea’s top ten movies to watch with her girlfriends!

I was a bit disappointed that there wasn’t a specific chapter on Cory (only because the Edelweiss page showed that he was supposed to originally have his own chapter), but I understand why there isn’t and respect her desire to only share her gratitude for his love and influence on her life.

I recommend everyone go out and buy a copy of this great book, I know I’ll be re-reading and using some of the recipes soon!

5 Bards

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brunette Ambition.

October 4, 2013 – Shelved