Alexandra's Reviews > In the Woods

Oct 06, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: murder-mystery, read-in-2007

*** 1/15/18 $2.99 for Kindle ***

I have mixed feelings about this one. I enjoyed it, wanted to know what happened, and cared about the main characters. It was definately a good story. But ****bit of a spoiler***

(view spoiler)

This is also a bit of a sad story - even besides the murder mysteries. I left it feeling a bit down. All in all a good read, I just am bothered by the loose ends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Woods.

October 6, 2007 – Shelved
Started Reading
November 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
November 26, 2007 – Shelved as: murder-mystery
November 26, 2007 – Shelved as: read-in-2007

Salma I felt the same way! The writing was incredible, but I put it down feeling well...down.

Alexandra I know just what you mean :)

Andy Weston you dont think the earlier muders were committed by Ryan??

Alexandra No I didn't, but I confess I can't remember why now. I'd have to refresh my memory with the book to answer why I didn't. Perhaps in part because the bodies where never found - seems pretty sophisticated, or extremely lucky, for a kid.

Is that what you thought?

Andy Weston Just one of those endings that I think is designed to make you think that!
Ill try and track down any coments from Tana French!
Great to read your review.

Beth I just finished this book and wrote my review of it, and I did feel similarly to you. The lack of any leads at all in the 1984 case is really a let down.

But the book is so fantastic outside of that!

I did consider the Ryan-as-murderer theory for a while during my reading, but I don't think it's plausible. She does sort of plant that seed in your head somehow though. I just think the bodies never being found, the plausibility of him being able to kill not one, but two other kids without either one escaping...doesn't seem to fit.

However, I only just this moment remembered the testimony of Jonathan Devlin and Sandra, about the rape the kids witnessed. Remember he said they heard laughing in the woods? I had completely forgotten about that until now. What did you make of that? Just them hallucinating? He makes a point of saying they were high and drinking and it was hot and they were half out of their minds. But I remember thinking something more would come of that, and of course it doesn't.

Kristin I felt the same way! Loved it but wish I knew what happened. On the other hand, I like when things don't end all neat and tidy either.

message 8: by Alexandra (last edited May 29, 2014 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alexandra Thanks! I don't like lose ends and dropped plot points, unless they'll be covered in a sequel. And the way the past mystery was continuously used left me feeling deceived and cheated in the end. That was the mystery I was really interested in. And that's the reason I haven't read any more of her books. But, others certainly seem to enjoy them :)

Kristin I completely agree, that's what really pulled me. I was really hoping that it would pick up in the sequels but from what i heard, Ryan is out of the picture. I did hear that the each book of the series got better though so I'll probably give it a try at some point.

Alexandra Kristin wrote: "I completely agree, that's what really pulled me. I was really hoping that it would pick up in the sequels but from what i heard, Ryan is out of the picture. I did hear that the each book of the se..."

Some of the others sound good. If you give them a try, let me know what you think :)

Kristin Will do :)