Angie Lisle's Reviews > Tudor: The Family Story

Tudor by Leanda de Lisle

This comprehensive book isn't geared for romance fans - not unless the romance reader wants to know the history behind historical romances from the Tudor period. The prose is somewhat dry for the average reader but the book is so informative that history lovers won't be deterred. Well-researched and organized.

So many books about the Tudors start with Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. This book doesn't - it starts with Richard III and what was going on in the UK when the Tudors arrive on the scene, then proceeds to follow the Tudors through the duration of their reign, which helps clarify the issues and decisions made at the end of the dynasty - which many books fail to do because they skim through the Tudor beginnings.

I requested a copy of this book in exchange for review from NetGalley. I'm glad I did - I wish the author could continue this book as a series, covering the rest of the English monarchy up to the present day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tudor.

October 3, 2013 – Started Reading
October 3, 2013 – Shelved
October 5, 2013 –
page 7
1.3% "If the rest of the book lives up to the intro...this should be good. Covering the period before Henry VIII, the Mary's, and Elizabeth."
October 5, 2013 –
page 24
4.45% "Dry like a history book but for the buffs, interesting details."
October 6, 2013 –
page 50
October 6, 2013 –
page 132
24.49% "This book is not geared for romance fans - not unless they want to know the history behind the historical romances they enjoy. Somewhat dry for the average reader but informative enough to keep history lovers engaged."
October 8, 2013 –