Barbara Shelton's Reviews > Beloved

Beloved by Robin Lee Hatcher

Not having read the first two books in “Where the Heart Lives” series, I was a bit at a disadvantage as to their stories being connected or related to the characters in Beloved. However that didn’t diminish my interest and enjoyment of this skillfully orchestrated tale of Diana Brennan Applegate and Tyson Applegate’s awkward twist of the unexpected. Ms Hatcher wrote a whopping shock wave in the first few lines that hooked my curiosity without a doubt. Diana Applegate and Brook Calhoun were about to announce their engagement when Diana’s dead husband appeared –not as a ghostly figure, but alive laying claim to his bride!

Before continuing the story, Robin Lee Hatcher recounts some background about Diana Brennan as a six year old and two siblings traveling on an orphan train westward to find families willing to give them a home. The children were separated when Diana was chosen by the Fisher family who raised her with love. At seventeen Diana marries Tyson Applegate, son of wealthy Jeremiah Applegate, a tyrannical mining tycoon. Tyson has an ulterior motive for marrying Diana, which will be revealed progressively. Diana’s heart is broken when Tyson abandons her and defies his father to “do his own thing” for years and eventually winds up in Cuba with Roosevelt’s Rough Riders. Diana received a message that Tyson was missing and presumed dead. The living Tyson had caught wind of Diana and Brooke’s impending marriage and decided he should do what is right and stop the whole thing before the proceedings Diana had started to declare him dead progressed.

Tyson has found redemption in Christ and come to the realization that Diana is his “Beloved” and returns to Idaho a changed man. He is praying for the chance to prove this to Diana through a proposal with subsequent intentions that explain his need for her to continue as his wife….for at least six months. He bought a lovely large estate in Boise and announced his candidacy for the Senate. If she decides after six months to leave, Tyler would not grant a divorce, but would continue to provide the home for her and her mother, Gloria Fisher, as well as a hefty allowance for life. Diana eventually agrees to the six month trial period even though she is untrusting and bitter. She is not willing to have her heart broken twice and ensues with prudence.

Beginning in the 1880’s and crossing over into the next century – early 1900’s, the historic facts are real, the emotions are real – although confused and misplaced at times; and the fictional writing is awesome! The reader of Beloved can be sure of some uproarious fun and frolic from new characters adding their personalities to the blend, which caused tears to flow through my laughter at Ms Hatcher’s wit. There is more than one character who is not who they seem, as well as mystery of thieving in their midst. Redemption and reconciliation of those seeking God’s grace and love is unconditionally granted. It seems every character has experienced change and new tender realizations that flow throughout the story.

Even though Beloved is a story that can stand alone, it ultimately dawned on me that the characters of each book in this series have been brought to a miraculous gathering truly of God’s design. Robin Lee Hatcher is without a doubt in tune with humanity as we are and who God is. Beloved is one of the most touching stories I’ve read. It is thoughtful and provoking and I heartily recommend it to those wanting their hearts warmed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beloved.

Started Reading