Sarah's Reviews > Off the Rails in Phnom Penh: Into the Dark Heart of Guns, Girls, and Ganja

Off the Rails in Phnom Penh by Amit Gilboa

liked it

A disturbing, depressing, and shocking insight into the lawlessness of Phnom Penh. I would not have believed the extent of corruption, prostitution, drugs, and guns detailed in this book if I hadn't already heard accounts from people living in Cambodia on my several trips to the country, nor read other non-fiction reports. Even though the accounts of "shagging" and "ganja" smoking in this book become repetitive, it is balanced with government directed assassinations, bribery, arms smuggling, drug smuggling, grenade attacks, government propaganda, looting, and illegal logging. In order not to get too depressed about the future of the country I had to remind myself that there are other sides to Cambodia; gentler, simpler sides. But the country's fragility is worrying - there doesn't seem to be much to stop another civil war happening in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off the Rails in Phnom Penh.

Finished Reading