Louise Sparrow's Reviews > Me And Mr Darcy

Me And Mr Darcy by Alexandra Potter

liked it
bookshelves: austen-challenge-2013

I'm still in two minds about this book, on the one hand it's a fun, easy to read modern chick-lit that's based on one of my favourite books, with a kind of supernatural element. I enjoyed reading it, the characters were likable, there was plenty of humour and it tied everything up nicely (well mostly). It reminded me a little of Lost In Austen meets Austenland, (but a bit better).

On the other hand... I tend to think that people who have read Jane Austen (or at least watched some of the adaptations), the main audience for a book of this kind, wouldn't need the plot of the book explained quite so thoroughly at the end when the heroine has her Lois Lane moment.

I also found Mr Darcy as portrayed in this book to be a bit two dimensional, as if he was created solely from Lizzy's impressions of him at the beginning of P&P, of course that might have been the author's intention, there was one or two things to support that, but when he does try to expand from that role it didn't seem to quite fit. It does make sense that Emily couldn't bring out in him the traits that Lizzy did, but I would still have hoped for a little more depth.

The final explanation for it all is a bit of a stretch too, but I'd already guessed part of it and I'm good at suspending disbelief so I wasn't overly bothered.

On the whole it's definitely worth reading, as long as you have a sense of humour.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me And Mr Darcy.

October 2, 2013 – Started Reading