Mary JL's Reviews > The Cases That Haunt Us: From Jack the Ripper to JonBenet Ramsey, the FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Unravels the Mysteries That Won't Go Away

The Cases That Haunt Us by John Edward Douglas

F 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

I am starting to find some interest in True Crime as a genre. For years, I have read mystery fiction; now I am becoming interest in real cases as well.

The author, a former FBI profiler for over 20 years, has focused on cases that have haunted a lot of us---not haunted as in supernatural---but haunting in their effect on us and the controversies that surround certain cases. I mean, it is over 100 years ago and we are still fascinated by Jack the Ripper.

Of course, these are still only the opinions of Mr. Douglas and his co-author. I did not agree with all of his reasoning---but I found his arguments well researched and thought-provoking. He does not solve the cases he selects--but he examines what the current theories are in each cases and supports or refutes them. The segment on Jack the Ripper and the Lindbergh Baby Murder-kidnapping the most interesting segments of the cases profiled.

Recommended for fans of true crime; non-fiction and history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cases That Haunt Us.

October 2, 2013 – Shelved