Heidi's Reviews > Mercy, A Gargoyle Story

Mercy, A Gargoyle Story by Misty Paquette / Misty Prov...

Three and half stars: A unique and different story featuring gargoyles.

Madeline plunges into the cold, dark water. Her heart is shattered. She wants nothing more than to sink into the murky depths and let go of her broken life. Unfortunately, fate has other plans for her. Madeline doesn't exactly die. She is rescued by Moag a large, hideous gargoyle and taken to the gargoyle kingdom. Here she meets Truce the king of the gargoyles. Madeline is transformed into a monstrous gargoyle and perched up on a roof. She must find courage and strength and make a difficult decision. Will she find a worthy recipient for her gargoyle gift?
What I Liked:
*It is no secret that I am a fan of Misty Provencher's work. Misty has proven time and time again to me that she is not only incredibly talented but creative as well. I have read all of Misty's published books, and I am always amazed at her originality. Mercy: A Gargoyle Story wins the prize for her most creative story to date. Misty brings an interesting tale featuring gargoyles. It is a dark, sad tale that involves redemption and forgiveness. I haven't read anything like it, and I loved that this was fresh and original.
*I was blown away by the writing. Misty takes her writing to a whole another level. The descriptions are detailed, there are stunning metaphors and it was beyond anything I have read by her before. I loved the complexity and the emotion that was packed into this one. One of my favorite aspects is that Misty describes events without spelling everything out. You gather what happened through the emotions and feelings. I know I am not doing it justice by trying to explain, just read it and see for yourself. If you are someone, like me, who enjoys complex and beautiful writing, you must check this out.
*I was intrigued by the gargoyles. The gargoyles are so much more than weird, ugly statues adorning buildings. In this book, the gargoyles embody the souls of the lost, the souls that slipped into death when they weren't supposed to die. In Madeline's case, she is a suicide who wasn't meant to die. Souls that aren't destined for death are scooped up by the gargoyle Moag, and they are called Slips. The souls are transformed into gargoyles, and they must bide their time waiting until they find the right recipient to receive their gargoyle gift. A gargoyle's gift is their heart bestowed upon someone who needs a second chance. Once the gargoyle has given their heart, they move on. So in a sense, a gargoyle is a dark form of an angel. A savior who gives hope to the lost. As you can see, this is a very interesting concept. Besides, how often do you get to read about gargoyles?
*Even though the overall storyline is a bit dark because it takes on tough topics like depression, abortion and suicide, there is a bit of hope at the end. I liked that I never knew what was coming and that this story was completely unpredictable. I appreciated Madeline's growth and transformation as well. This is certainly a NA book that strays far, far from the NA books that are flooding the market.
And The Not So Much:
*I was left wondering about the fates of Selene and Moag. Was there any hope for Selene or was she destined to her sad fate? What about Moag? Did he earn his freedom? I was fascinated by Moag and I wished I had a better understanding of his role and purpose.
*This book is dark, gritty and a little depressing and disturbing. There is nothing over the top gross in this nor is it scary, but it tackles the dark side of mankind as we see the characters grappling with the things in life we don't like to talk about. There is guilt, sadness, despair and bad decisions.
*At times, things get a bit confusing, and I often didn't have a clear picture of what was going on. For instance, the whole thing with Trickle was puzzling. I never understood what he was supposed to see, and I didn't have a firm grasp on the whole trial thing.

Mercy: A Gargoyle Story is a brisk, interesting read that shows us the dark side of humanity. The writing is absolutely stunning and the storyline is completely original. I recommend you give this little novel a try if you are desperate for something fresh and unique. Misty has proven to me once again that she is a writer that I want to be reading.
Favorite Quotations:
"I remember the boy's voice like a Swiss Army Knife, useful, quick and serrated. It was used for hunting, for trapping for feeding me. He could slide his whisper right along my skin and separate me from my clothing with three clean words. His voice enchanted the other girls too."
"It's funny how an ugly person can become the most handsome just by how he looked at me and listened and smiled when I spoke."
"What I see are the stars little aluminum shavings drifting in the deep blue of the midnight sky, sparkling like all they want in the world is for me to see them. And I do."

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review.
Posted@
Rainy Day Ramblings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercy, A Gargoyle Story.

October 2, 2013 – Started Reading