Kate Pierson's Reviews > The Sum of Our Days

The Sum of Our Days by Isabel Allende

203364
Oct 02, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, best-read-2009, family, how-romantic, non-fiction, latin-america

I wavered between four and five stars for this one. My only complaint is that the Allende is obviously a very wealthy woman and has all these resources that "normal" people just don't have. But, when I think about it, I can't really fault her for her money. She earned it writing books, for goodness sake! The best part of The Sum of Our Days is its honesty. Allende has money---and she's honest about it.

I went with five stars because I know I'll remember this book for a long time. I especially appreciate her thoughts on family. The Sum of Our Days is my first encounter with Isabel Allende. I didn't know if I would like it, but I started it Saturday night and couldn't put it down. I now want to read ALL of her other books. House of Spirits, here I come!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sum of Our Days.

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara House of Spirits I haven't read. My only exposure was the probably awful movie version of it with Jeremy Irons, Meryl Streep (?) and Winona Ryder. I didn't see it, but it scared me. Also, having read three Latin America/Spanish books this year: In the Time of Butterflies, Gaudi Afternoon (which might be a stretch) and The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevera, I might be good on magic realism for a very, very long time.