Jani's Reviews > Fairest, Volume 2: The Hidden Kingdom

Fairest, Volume 2 by Lauren Beukes

I read interview of Lauren Beukes and got immediately interested in her work. Started reading one of her shortstories and was completely sold after few pages (she reminds me of William Gibson in a very good way). Since I heard she also writes comicbooks I just had to pick up "Fairest". So Lauren Beukes (writer of vol.2) was the reason I started from vol.1 which was quite a disappointment.

Good thing that vol.2 "The Hidden Kingdom" is very much better storywise than vol.1 "Wide Awake".

Story is about Rapunzel (yup, the girl with hairgrowth of 4 inches per hour). Her past is really dark and she is haunted about her lost newborns that were tricked from her. In this collection she gets mysterious message that leads her to Tokyo to find her lost babies. In Japan a tons of japanese fairytale/folklore characters are introduced to the story ... in past and present.

Artwork wise vol.2 wasn't as good in my opinion as vol.1. Even Adam Hughes covers weren't as great as before ... but that mostly is because or darker subject matter.

Lauren Beukes writes great story and she is brilliant with her japanese references and that completely forgives lack in artwork.

This collection definitely is worth a check.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairest, Volume 2.

Started Reading