Ami's Reviews > Of Dreams and Ceremonies

Of Dreams and Ceremonies by Julie Bozza

Oct 01, 2013

bookshelves: mm-contemporary, mm-romance-or-erotica

This lovely story is comprised of three sections: “Wedding”, “Honeymoon”, and “Corroboree”. In “Wedding”, we have David Taylor and his beloved English earl, Nicholas Goring preparing their wedding, after Dave accepted Nicholas’s proposal right in the end of Butterfly Hunter. “Honeymoon” captures their honeymoon phase in Cornwall and “Corroboree” is a short section when the newlyweds return to Brisbane, Australia.

Wedding” is a beauty – I am in love with how Julie Bozza writes this section. It makes me feel like being wrapped in soft blanket of comfort. I enjoy reading about the preparation: what to wear (I learn a new term: morning suits – I am Indonesian, okay, I don’t know ALL the English words *lol*), where to live, what to do about getting Australian visa (for Nicholas), whom to invite to the wedding ... and most touching part, when Nicholas thinking about saying goodbye to his family. Dave and Nicholas are so besotted to one another – which makes my sappy self gushes in delight and sighs in contentment.

Honeymoon” on the other hand, is slightly a drag for me. I guess in this section, my cynical self is making an appearance. I’m starting to think some parts as being too flowery – and well, few of the similes are simply cringe-worthy (‘you taste like the purest nectar’ – uhm, just NO). There is also a slight mystery here with a couple of men that Dave and Nicholas meet on their honeymoon, which I think slightly disjointed to the whole tone of the story.

Corroboree” is the shortest of the three and it’s a bit too short to make an impact in my all reading experience. Although, I like the idea of ceremony and celebration in Australian way. It rounds up the story because it starts in Australia and here is Dave and Nicholas ready for the next phase of their life together as husbands in Australia too.

For some readers, they might find the story to be slightly too bland and lack of high speed pulse. For others, they might find the story to be a little too sweet and lovey-dovey. For me, though, my sappy self is beating my cynical self with a stick. So while this might not be as perfect as Butterfly Hunter, I am happily give this my 4-stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Dreams and Ceremonies.

October 1, 2013 – Shelved
October 1, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 22, 2013 – Started Reading
October 22, 2013 – Shelved as: mm-contemporary
October 22, 2013 –
15.0% "The words are just lovely..."
October 23, 2013 –
46.0% "My sappy self is very happy *sigh*"
October 24, 2013 – Shelved as: mm-romance-or-erotica
October 24, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Yuu (new)

Yuu Sasih ihiiw. jadi reviewer publisher, kak?

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Tepatnya sih buat blog review gitu ... kebetulan ini dapat ARC dari publisher-nya.

Mark Look who's teasing now? - lol! Looking forward to comparing notes

message 4: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Mark wrote: "Look who's teasing now? - lol! Looking forward to comparing notes "

DONE! My review is not as lengthy as yours are though :)

message 5: by Ingela (new)

Ingela I really enjoyed the first part, but sometimes I'm happy with that and don't want more. It has happened that sequels just ruined my feeling for the first book. Will think about this. Nice review, Amy! Glad to see it was a four star book for you. :)

message 6: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami I understand, Ingela. Sometimes sequel is not necessary. But this one is lovely enough as part of the arc, I think...

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina Great review, Ami. I didn't fall in love with Buuterfly Hunter but I will think about this one. :)

message 8: by Ami (last edited Nov 01, 2013 12:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Hmmm, I don't know how it will go for those who don't love Butterfly Hunter. It will be interesting if you do read this, Tina.

Mark Nice review Amy!

message 10: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Mark wrote: "Nice review Amy!"

Thank you, Mark...

Macky Lovely review Ami, adored Butterfly Hunter so really looking forward to more Nicholas and Dave. :)

message 12: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami I hope you enjoy this one too, dear Macky

Macky Thanks my sweet. :)