Ashley's Reviews > Made of Stars

Made of Stars by Kelley York

OMG! THAT'S where it ENDS?!?!?! I am FREAKING out! I NEED MORE! I will be reviewing this on my blog, and will update this once it's been posted.

UPDATE (from my blog)

When I finished this book, I literally had to pick my jaw up from the floor! These were the words I wrote immediately after finishing: OMG! THAT'S where it ENDS?!?!?! I am FREAKING out! I NEED MORE!

So let's just say...if you don't like unknowns or cliffhangers at the end of books, you might want to stay away from this one. :) This was a fantastic read, though, and you don't want to miss out on it!

Well my friends, this is not the first LGBT book I've read, but it is the first one I've reviewed on my blog. I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not nervous about the response. If this were 5 years ago, I might have been one of those readers who had a negative response. But between real life and the many, MANY books that I've read that have changed my life and point of view (including this one), not only did I personally enjoy this book, but I want to share it with everyone else!

This book has so many things going for it! Not only does it read like a suspense, but it is also a beautiful story about friendship, family and love. And to top it all off, it is EXTREMELY well written! Kelley York does a fantastic job of approaching tough topics, including abuse and sexuality.

The Jackson family is about as nontraditional as they come...Hunter and Ashlin are half-siblings, who also happen to be the same age. Even though they live across the country from one another, they have a fantastic relationship with each other, and with their dad. They each live with their respective mothers most of the year, but when they were growing up, they spent each summer together with their dad. And another permanent fixture of their summers was Chance. Chance is sort of a mystery. He always shows up alone and on foot. And he spends TONS of time with Hunter and Ashlin. But he also disappears for a day or two at a time, and sometimes he refuses to do activities like swimming. Despite Chance's quirks, Ashlin and Hunter are both in love with him, even if Hunter hasn't figured it out yet.

Then one summer Hunter and Ashlin's dad gets shot on duty with a major injury (he's a cop), and they end up only coming for extremely short trips over the next couple years. Now, Hunter and Ashlin have graduated from high school, and aren't sure what they want to do with their lives, so they both decide to live with their dad for the winter while they figure it out. At first, they're afraid that they won't see Chance, but once they find him, he shows up out of nowhere, just like he did when they were kids. And despite having a girlfriend, Hunter's feelings for Chance keep pushing their way into his thoughts. And even though Ashlin is also in love with Chance, she's starting to notice things about Chance and her brother that she didn't pay attention to when they were kids.

The fateful day that Chance's mom is found dead, Chance seems to disappear into thin air. Ashlin and Hunter know the truth now about what goes on in Chance's house, but now they need to prove that he's innocent, without incurring the wrath of Chance's father, or incriminating Chance or themselves...

I LOVE the development of the characters and plot! Even though Chance is strange, you can't help but fall in love with him too. And when you figure out all the bad things that have happened to him over the course of his life, you just want to wrap him up in your arms and make everything ok. And Ashlin and Hunter's dad is such an amazing secondary character. He cares so much about his kids, and Chance. He gives pretty good advice, but also allows his children to make mistakes, and discover things on their own. And he feels absolutely awful when he realizes what has been happening to Chance, and that he didn't figure it out himself. Ashlin is an amazing sister, and friend. She actually takes the time to put her own feelings aside for a little bit to figure out what is going on with her brother, and to try to help save Chance. And it is so amazing watching Hunter sort through his experiences and emotions. It isn't about whether or not he's gay. This story is truly about love, and the different kinds of love we have for the people in our lives.

I really, REALLY hope there is a sequel!!! Pretty please?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Made of Stars.

October 1, 2013 – Shelved