Hooked On Books's Reviews > The Bitter End

The Bitter End by Rue Volley

Oct 01, 2013

The Bitter End is book one in the Golden Crown trilogy by Rue Volley, it starts as it means to go on I think as it starts right in the thick of things which is great, I love a good story that has me confused and questioning the plot development from the first paragraph. Beth's character development is a long and difficult process as she seems to be a very privileged young woman who is insensitive to anyone not of her standard and not of her wealth, she thinks she can pay people off because of her wealth and she has no empathy. However Beth seems to be an angry young woman who craves love and genuine affection from her family and the people around her. The way in which this book is written seems a little all over the place at first but the writer gets a better hold on this as the book and the rest of the trilogy goes on, I honestly thought the first dream it tells you about was happening until it said otherwise. Other than that I actually really like Rue Volley's writing style as it is constant guess work and keeps you on your toes in respect of how she's going to write the next scene, she makes reference to a few taboo subjects within today's society but the way in which it is written is wonderful and had me gasping out loud and loving and hating the scene at the same time. The twist towards the end of the book is fantastic and I personally didn't see it coming, from just reading this first book I can tell the rest of the trilogy will be just as bitter, twisted and full of hatred as this book was and now I've finished it I can see exactly why it was written this way. 4.5 Stars!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bitter End.

Finished Reading