Lobstergirl's Reviews > Metaphors We Live By

Oct 01, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: own, read-more-than-once
Recommended for: Bob Bork
Read 2 times. Last read February 20, 2010 to March 6, 2010.

I probably wouldn't have picked up this book on my own. I was assigned it in college and hated it so much I never got beyond chapter 4 or so. (The margins of these early pages are so filled with embarrassing personal notes and stream of consciousness ramblings that I would be too embarrassed to sell it or give it away.) Whereupon it sat on a shelf until, lo all these years later, I decided to give it another shot.

If you're interested in the intersection between linguistics and philosophy, you ought to read this book. My 3-star rating is due to the fact that the first 20 or so chapters are (still) terminally, numbingly boring. They consist almost entirely of examples of metaphors. What Lakoff and Johnson are doing is laying the foundation for their argument (expounded upon in the last several chapters) that neither objectivism (as exemplified by classic rationalist and classic empiricist philosophy) nor subjectivism (as exemplified by romanticism) are up to the task of explaining meaning and that there is a third path to understanding truth - an experiential synthesis. We understand the world through our interaction with it. Metaphors do not merely describe reality, they structure it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Metaphors We Live By.

Finished Reading
October 1, 2009 – Shelved
October 1, 2009 – Shelved as: own
February 20, 2010 – Started Reading
February 20, 2010 –
page 33
February 21, 2010 –
page 61
25.21% "Deeply, tragically boring."
February 24, 2010 –
March 5, 2010 –
page 198
March 6, 2010 – Shelved as: read-more-than-once
March 6, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Susie (new)

Susie I read this in college! I got a recent book called I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like--looking forward to it.

Lobstergirl Ha. I remember not really liking this when I read it, but maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Get it--looking forward, frame of mind? Metaphors!

Lobstergirl Ha, yep.

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Metaphors. I had a doctor once who pronounced the word metaphers. I loved him.