Kristine's Reviews > At Night We Walk in Circles

At Night We Walk in Circles by Daniel Alarcón

Sep 30, 2013

bookshelves: first-reads, 4-star-rating

Original review found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...
*I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review*
I will admit that I wasn't entirely sure about this book when I first started reading. It was a little confusing and I wasn't sure where it was heading. Who was the mysterious narrator and why was he so obsessed with Nelson's story? It was clear that something terrible happened to Nelson but what?
As I continued to read I began to understand a little more and as I did I began to think that Alarcon was brilliant. Through the interviews that the narrator had with key characters the reader was able to fully understand Nelson, Henry and Patalarga. We found out about the history of these characters and the events in their lives that defined them leading up to what happened to Nelson. Throughout the story you do not know what happened to him you just know that something did. You also don't know who the narrator was or how he was connected to the story. For me this kept the pages turning in an effort to find out. The story jumped back and forth between characters describing events both past and present in their lives so that by the time the book was finished they were so well developed that you felt like you knew them. Each event and story throughout the book was interesting and it was amazing (in my opinion) how it helped to tie the story together in the end.
If I had to describe this book I would say that it was unique, compelling and thought provoking. Daniel Alarcón is a new to me author but it is very clear that he is truly talented and has a very bright future ahead. There is no doubt that I will be checking out some of his other work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Night We Walk in Circles.

September 30, 2013 – Shelved