Lj Mountford's Reviews > Hello Darkness

Hello Darkness by Anthony McGowan

bookshelves: favourites

'Hello Darkness' is a gripping, exciting, twisty-turny, fearsomely dark and hilarious crime thriller set in a school, and I'll be recommending it to everyone I know who loves reading crime, or who has ever been to school... or who can read... everyone, in fact.

We delve deep into the psyche of John, the wisecracking loner student with a dark past, and his descent into the criminal underworld of the school and all its gangs and cliques, war zones, alliances and mysteries as he tries to solve the crimes. The school is a microcosm of the adult world, with hot dames, dodgy teachers, hoods, bosses, and crammed with politics, drama, tragedy and romance. As he's sucked in deeper to the mystery, we're dragged along for the ride in his (possibly) crazed mental state, where reality is heightened and everything is connected.

Initially I wasn't overjoyed with the premise of school pets getting slaughtered - despite the fact I read a lot of crime, I hate it when animals get hurt. But McGowan didn't stick in gross gratuitous violence, and actually there was far more warmth and affection for animals that revealed itself in beautiful passages like this:

"She stuck her claws into me with delicate spite as she climbed up onto my lap. She licked her paws and cleaned her face and then melted warmly into me."

My Kindle edition is littered with highlights like this, there were so many sentences and whole pages that were incredibly fresh and beautifully written.

God, I loved this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello Darkness.

September 28, 2013 – Started Reading