Rachel's Reviews > The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Sep 30, 2009

did not like it

Oh my GOD this book was so lame. First of all, I am so sick of hearing (seeing? hearing? hearing in my head?) the phrases "we kids" and "us kids" by the end of the third chapter that I pretty much wanted to stop reading right there. If there's one thing I generally can't stand, it's a whiny self righteous memoir recounting a shitty childhood but GOD never really blaming the source of the pain/problem, that would make you look weak, right? Sheesh. Get a therapist, lady.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.

Finished Reading
September 30, 2009 – Shelved

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Towner I find it interesting that you consider this book to be a "whiny, self righteous memoir." I would have to question if you actually finished the book. If you did, then I am curious as to how you overlooked the entire story line and tone of the novel. In Mrs. Walls' telling of the story, she never once wined about her childhood, she simply accepted it and dealt with it to the best of her ability. She also never used her history to her advantage, such as using it to gain pity, as she even concealed it from her friends, teachers and colleagues. On page 257, Mrs. Walls is asked, "What [she would know] about the hardships and obstacles that the underclass face" by Professor Fuchs. She simply responds, "You have a point" (Walls 257).

Perhaps, as shown in this situation, Mrs. Walls was embarrassed of her past, or concerned with how it would affect her current life, but she was never "whiny." If you did in deed finish this book, then I am dumbfounded as to how you could come to your aforementioned conclusions.

Rachel Alexandra wrote: "I find it interesting that you consider this book to be a "whiny, self righteous memoir." I would have to question if you actually finished the book. If you did, then I am curious as to how you o..."

what would you say was the purpose of this book?

Tina My book club totally agreed on the "us kids" / "we kids" thing.