Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.)'s Reviews > The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún

The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún by J.R.R. Tolkien

As soon as I found this hardbound edition in the bookstore, I snapped it up. This 350-page book contains J.R.R. Tolkien's interpretation of the two ancient epic poems from the Poetic Edda of the Icelandic peoples. Tolkien's son, Christopher has compiled and edited his father's work on the "Lay of the Volsungs" and the "Lay of Gudrun." This is earthy and spare poetry; rich in story and tradition; and provides a tangible connection to our ancestors and their mythology more than a thousand years ago. This is a book to read, re-read, and study; and, I have to say, it somehow feels canonical, as "Beowulf" is considered to be. Christopher Tolkien's notes and comments on his father's work help place these poems in their proper context. Finally, I see that some of the ideas and concepts developed in Tolkien's fiction are the direct result of his life-long fascination and study of the Poetic Edda. I highly recommend this book; it is real a treasure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún.

September 30, 2009 – Shelved
December 1, 2011 – Shelved as: british-authors-translators
December 1, 2011 – Shelved as: modern-literature
December 2, 2011 – Shelved as: author-j-r-r-tolkien

message 1: by Rita (new)

Rita Would you recommend this to a 12 year old (albeit a bit more mature) who is a fan of Neil Gayman's Nose Mythology and is curious towards anything related to Norse Mythology?

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) Yes, I would Rita. It is a beautiful book. Your child may not enjoy some of the commentary by Tolkien's son, but poetry is wonderful. Cheers!

message 3: by Rita (new)

Rita Thank you for your answer! I do hope that he enjoys it, as I'm a big fan of Tolkien myself :)