Gaby's Reviews > Close Encounters of the Third-Grade Kind: Thoughts on Teacherhood

Close Encounters of the Third-Grade Kind by Phillip Done

Sep 30, 2009

bookshelves: nonfiction

An elementary school teacher for over 20 years, Phillip Done takes us through a funny and adventure packed year in the classroom. Beginning with the back-to-school sales and preparations in August and going through each month's lessons and highlights, Phillip Done shares the delights and laughs that have kept him satisfied in his job. He's taken trick-or-treating by students, taught children to trap leprechauns, showed them how to master cursive and compose letters, and taught long division - all the while being a beloved force in the kids' lives.

Even if you think that you're not that fond of kids, this book will make you laugh. It might even encourage you to spend time with your nieces and nephews. If you have kids or love kids, I have no doubt that you'll love this book.

Phillip Done tells these stories of classroom antics so well, that not only do you feel that you're right there, you wish that you could follow him around. He reminds me of my favorite teachers and why I loved school. But the best part of the book are the children who come alive and the love that they show each other and their teacher. Read about Done's pistol assessments to determine which children to watch out for, how "pillow student" Rebecca was able to catch up with her classmates, how Done handles the tooth fairy and Halloween, and the different reading strategies that children have developed. Then enjoy the deep and uncomplicated laughs that burst out!

Publisher: Center Street (September 4, 2009), 336 pages.
Courtesy of the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Close Encounters of the Third-Grade Kind.