Carol's Reviews > A Secondhand Murder

A Secondhand Murder by Lesley A. Diehl

Sep 28, 2013

bookshelves: cozy-mysteries

A Secondhand Murder by Lesley A. Diehl is the first of a series of new cozy mystery series.

Eve Appel moves from Connecticut to set up secondhand clothing soft in rural Florida. She is catering to the high society women in the area who are experiencing a little less cash in these bad economic times. On opening day, the body of one of town’s society women is found in the dressing room with a knife in her back. Eve is flustered as she fears that this may be bad for business. Then she finds out that she is a person of interest and decides to find the murderer in order to not be charged.

She is separated from her husband and expected to be divorced soon. Even though she knows that her husband, Jerry should be good riddance, she still has some lingering feelings for him.
Eve is tall, skinny and daring. Madeleine is her best friend and works in her shop. She is severely accident prone, petite and beautiful. There are plentiful of potential love interests for both of them in this town.

It does cross the line a little for cozies. There is a little more sex than usual but not more violence. But I really enjoyed the page turning action that even involved getting help from a Mob boss. The story was complex but very easy to follow. The quirky characters including Eve lead the reader through lots of excitement. I want to read this next book in this series to see if anything comes of a possible beau for Eve. At the beginning the humor seemed a little forced but that seemed to go away as the story progressed.

I heartedly recommend this cozy for all cozy mystery readers.

I received this book from the author after choosing this book to review from Partner’s in Crime Tours. That in no way influenced my thoughts and feelings in this review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Secondhand Murder.

September 28, 2013 – Shelved
September 28, 2013 – Shelved as: cozy-mysteries
September 28, 2013 –
page 1
0.38% "Review will be or PIC tour."
September 29, 2013 –
page 9
3.46% "Review will be or PIC tour."
September 30, 2013 –
page 31
11.92% "Review will be or PIC tour."
Started Reading
October 2, 2013 –
page 152
58.46% "Review will be or PIC tour."
October 2, 2013 – Finished Reading
October 3, 2013 –
page 260
100.0% "Review will be or PIC tour."

message 1: by Lance (new)

Lance Wright I've found, like you, that some cozies are tending the "cross the line" more but I still enjoy them! Thanks so much for sharing your review with us.