Jill Myles's Reviews > The Last Hour of Gann

The Last Hour of Gann by R. Lee Smith
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
2368931
's review

it was amazing
bookshelves: all-time-favorite

THIS BOOK. MY GOD. I have so many feels. SO MANY.

First off, it's long. It's probably a trilogy in a single book. Don't let that deter you - it never slumps along the way.

So anyhow, Amber Bierce is our heroine. She's fat, she's bossy, and she's got a pottymouth. Her sister Nicci is a user and her favorite person to use is Amber. All of these things combine into a heroine who makes trouble for herself, knows it, and can't seem to stop. But Amber's an awesome heroine. When shit hits the fan, Amber's the first one to take charge. When the colony ship crashes, Amber saves people. When they're starving, she tries to hunt. She ALWAYS tries, and I love that about Amber. She refuses to lay down and let life kick her ass, and life tries to, a LOT.

Meoraq is the hero. He's a lizardman. I'll let that sink in for a moment. A MOTHER-EFFING LIZARDMAN. Don't care. It's still awesome and he's still great. By the time the middle of the book hit, I was like PLEASE HAVE SEX YOU TWO PLEASE PLEASE because I wanted their relationship so freaking much. The build and the sexual tension is amazeballs.

Because this is RLee Smith, bad shit happens. Not gonna lie. There was a section that was pretty heartbreaking, and I thought everything was ruined at the 90% mark of the book...but Smith turns the ship around and by the last page, I was all YEESSSSSSS MY GOD YESSSSSS. It was perfection and no one got screwed over in the end, except for the ones that deserved it.

So. Loved this. I've had a book hangover for a week because I read it and I can't find anything else like it. I even bought my mom a copy (YES I BOUGHT MY MOM A LIZARDMAN ROMANCE) so I will have someone to discuss it with.

Please read this, because I want this author to be wildly successful and write more books. I'm selfish like that. :)
157 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Hour of Gann.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

Started Reading
September 23, 2013 – Finished Reading
September 28, 2013 – Shelved
September 28, 2013 – Shelved as: all-time-favorite

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Green How could any human being read this review and not buy the book?


Jill Myles Lori wrote: "How could any human being read this review and not buy the book?"

I HAVE NO IDEA. But please read it. I'm serious. I like, want to read it all over again.


Jill Myles Haha. MY WORK HERE IS DONE.

(I am reading it again.)


message 4: by Yashika (new) - added it

Yashika I was trying to make up my mind about this book but your review made up my mind for sure.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't love everything about it, but HOLY SHIT this was a hell of a read. For god's sake, a freaking lizardman!


message 6: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) The hero shifts into a lizard?


message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

No, he IS a lizard. It's sci-fi romance.


message 8: by Katie(babs) (last edited Oct 10, 2013 01:21AM) (new)

Katie(babs) as in full body lizard? Oh my. Like the aliens from the TV show "V" back in the day?


Jill Myles As in, he has a snout and lizard genitalia. And scales.


message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles And it's still incredibly awesome and ya need to read it.


message 11: by Kaci (new) - added it

Kaci Starting it tonight... Can't wait.


message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Green Just finished it yesterday and am still trying to process it all. The world building was brilliant, I truly loved Amber because I completely identified with the fat chick with the big mouth and shiz, Meoraq.... what can you say?

Thank you ma'am for demanding the read. It was brilliant.


message 13: by Saskia (last edited Oct 23, 2013 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saskia I just finished the first part and so far so good. Does anyone know how many pages it has. I can't find it anywhere and my Kindle doesn't show the pages either.


message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Saskia wrote: "I jsut finished the first part and so far so far. Does anyone know how amny pages it has. i can't find it anywhere and my Kindle doesn't show the pages either."

Saskia, it doesn't say but my guess is 1500 to 2000 pages. It's loooong.


message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Lori wrote: "Just finished it yesterday and am still trying to process it all. The world building was brilliant, I truly loved Amber because I completely identified with the fat chick with the big mouth and shi..."

Wasn't it good? I couldn't get over how captivating the story was. Even when stuff was awful for both characters, I couldn't put the book down. To me, that is excellent storytelling. :)


Saskia Thank you Jill. My Kindle say I have to read about 16 more hours, so it will take me a little while to finish it.

It counts about 4 book then:)


Saskia I finished the book last night and actually wanted it to go wn for a bit. I didn't get to see them home and settle down


message 18: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles I know! I could have read on and on. :)


Nancy Awesome review. I'm reading the book right now. Only about 10%in and I'm already hooked on the story.


message 20: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue WOW!! it was everything you said it was :) loved it


message 21: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Sue wrote: "WOW!! it was everything you said it was :) loved it"

Yay! Another convert!


message 22: by Delta (last edited Jul 01, 2014 05:56AM) (new) - added it

Delta Jill, I love your review...just finished reading Heat by R. Lee Smith, and it is the best sci-fi/adventure/erotica book I have ever read! You would probably love it. I'm definitely going to read The Last Hour of Gann.


message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Delta, if you liked Heat, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE Gann!!


message 24: by Delta (new) - added it

Delta Jill wrote: "Delta, if you liked Heat, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE Gann!!"

Thanks, Jill...sorry I goofed up on your name (read your quote in someone else's comment)...


message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles That's ok! I figured I'd shove my way into the conversation. ;)


message 26: by Delta (last edited Jul 01, 2014 06:13AM) (new) - added it

Delta Jill wrote: "That's ok! I figured I'd shove my way into the conversation. ;)"

I will have to check out some of your books, now. ;D


message 27: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Sadly they are nothing like this one. :(


message 28: by Delta (new) - added it

Delta Jill wrote: "Sadly they are nothing like this one. :("
Your Midnight Liaisons series looks like fun...I should have added "sexy PNR with humor" to my list... ;D


message 29: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Well all right then! Maybe you would like them! :D

(In all seriousness, I was not posting to get book sales - I am just an ultra passionate fan of Mr./Ms. Smith. If you like Gann and Heat, try Scholomance too. Very dark but crazy good world building.)


message 30: by Delta (last edited Jul 01, 2014 06:51AM) (new) - added it

Delta Jill wrote: "(In all seriousness, I was not posting to get book sales - I am just an ultra passionate fan of Mr./Ms. Smith. If you like Gann and Heat, try Sch..."

I really like your philosophy of making friends, not customers (in reality, probably generates more customers than self-promoting, which always turns me off).


message 31: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Yeah! Plus I figure if we read the same stuff, I can find more good books to read. I am ALWAYS on the lookout for some good reads. (no pun intended) :D


message 32: by Lore (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lore I am currently through 30% of the book and I cannot stand Nicci! All she does is whine and ask Amber to do things for her.


message 33: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Lorena wrote: "I am currently through 30% of the book and I cannot stand Nicci! All she does is whine and ask Amber to do things for her."

Nicci will remain a pain in the ass throughout the book. Just settle in to that fact, lol.


message 34: by Beth (last edited Sep 05, 2015 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth P Ditto what Jill said. But still such an AWESOME book!


MercySkye28 I love your comment on this book and feel the same as you. What a book what a book....


back to top