Lori's Reviews > The Perfume Collector

The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro

it was ok

Eva's story was interesting; Grace's story left me yawning.
But the worst part about this book was the absolutely horrible editing job. Someone at Harper Collins got paid a great deal of money to go drinking when he/she should have been proofreading. I have seen fewer grammatical and word usage errors in an advanced reader copy. It was distracting and infuriating.
I am mentally composing my letter to Harper Collins in which I offer my services as a copy editor. They need me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfume Collector.

September 27, 2013 – Shelved
September 27, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 10, 2013 – Started Reading
October 10, 2013 –
page 84
18.1% "Meh."
October 28, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Ginger Our friendship is breaking!!! We are starting to not like the same books. Of course, my taste is impeccable. And yours is slipping. But since I am a good person, I will remain your friend - grudgingly.

Valerie You can see that she's so distraught about it that she was up until 3 in the morning!

Lori Maybe Ginger should have been up reading good books instead of defending mediocre ones.

Marjorie Only on page 11 and I notice already some odd editing. The first chapter seems to have been written by a separate person. It has a very different tone from chapter two. Well, I shall stick with it as the story seems interesting enough. Thanks for the warning though!

Lori Marjorie, I truly considered taking a red pen to my library copy. It only gets worse...
I had never thought about the discrepancy between the style in chapters one and two, but now that you say it, your take on that resonates with my memory of the early part of the book. I would have to agree with you!

Julie Yes! As I was reading the story I stumbled across a number of serious oversights in basic editing. How some of those errors made it through the editing process is beyond me. And the fact that this is a legit publishing company makes the mistakes even more unacceptable.

Sandy I agree on the problematic editing. In addition to obvious errors in the use of homonyms and "typos" which should have jumped out at an editor, there were several phrases which are common in present-day conversation which (in my opinion) would not have been used in any of the time-periods in the story (for example, "I'm sorry for your loss").

Lori Another excellent point. One would think that Harper Collins would have experienced editors on staff for whom that would raise red flags.

Laura I must concur with Lori's review. A friend recommended that I read the Perfume Collector: banal, trite story and characters. The sentence structures are all alike, incorporating semi-colons when they are not required. Typos.....incorrect tenses. I am embarrassed for the author and the publishing house's editor.

Annie There were so many typos! Even the back of the book - Grace Monroe rather than Munroe. But many worse errors in the book.

message 11: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne I listened to this book through audible.com. I consider myself a bit of a grammarian, though no expert on style. Whatever bothered Lori so much wasn't evident to me, listening. Overall, I thought the narration wonderful.

Maureen The errors seemed to increase as the ending approached. Someone was in a hurry!

Rachel Definitely agree with Maureen but it was actually the best of the worst I've read lately regarding typos.

message 14: by Lori (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lori And that's pretty discouraging, isn't it!?

Amanda I may not agree entirely with your review; but I liked how you said it. It made me smile, let's be friends. ( of the Goodreads kind that is)

Mahala Totally agree! The editing job on this book was horrible! It was so distracting, it really took away from the ending for me.

Dalit Szkolnik Right on

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Durante I have never seen so many errors in a book - spelling and grammatical!

Kathy Your review made me chuckle. I am currently reading it and so far underimpressed as well.

message 20: by Judy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Judy Neger I agree! The grammar mistakes were horrible!

message 21: by Judy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Judy Neger Can someone help me out here? The last chapter of the book has a woman standing in monsieur Tissot office and he addresses her as madame hiver but then it says the woman was Eva. I wasn't clear on this. Did I miss something?

message 22: by Lori (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lori It's now been a while since I read it, but I remember that part. It's a mistake! Like calling your kids the wrong names. Except in a book. Published by Harper Collins....

Linda I agree. The copy I read had quite a few mistakes :(

Tracy Green Yes! The editing was terrible and that distracted from the story. It also transitioned abruptly which could have been remedied by proper type setting. But I liked the story a lot.

message 25: by Meghann (new) - added it

Meghann Yes, I loved, loved the book - but had a hard time with the typos and errors.

message 26: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Bauer Agreed. I liked the story and characters but the egregious amount of typos and grammar mistakes detracted from my enjoyment.