Stephanie's Reviews > First Bite

First Bite by Dani Harper

3919719

liked it

Dani Harper's New Book FIRST BITE Leaves Room for Growth

Advanced Review Copy provided by author for review. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions stated herein are my own except as otherwise noted.

Original Review: http://fangswandsandfairydust.blogspo...

I always enjoy Dani’s books and First Bite was no exception, but it is not my favorite of Dani's books. The story is filled with twists and turns -- unexpected happenings. This Werecreature world is similar to that of Dani's Changeling series and the werewolf-types in FIRST BITE also call themselves Changelings.

Dani introduces magic and power to the world of this new series. Anger, envy, and a downright evil personality make up themes carried by the magic and power. Family, friendly and not so friendly, is the backdrop against which the drama plays out.

An additional theme of love conquering evil is explored with the "mates for life" concept often seen in the Changeling Wolf/Werewolf construct.

While I enjoyed Dani's book, I thought some parts of the novel could have been tighter; more developed. There was a bit of repetition about how magic is acquired. And, some of the devices used were a bit simple. Others, like a bond between mates and familial attachment; particularly that of siblings; are more complex with contrasts shown between the bonds of different siblings.

Loyalty between friends is also an issue. I think Dani is exploring the difference between chosen bonds and family bonds. Family doesn't always get along or agree about life choices, but if they needed a kidney... All of these concepts leave room for additional books in the series.

The main characters are, as the description says, attracted to each other, but I didn't feel it. That was one of the devices that felt too simple to me. Of course, the attraction has less to do with the human side of the characters and more to do with their wolf-sides, but it just didn't feel organic. Several of the support characters, a doctor who works for the baddie, and two friends loyal to each other, did not work for me either, although they were intriguing and are open for development. Villains are often shallow. Meredith was definitely based in evil and greed, two characteristics that stunt emotional growth. She reminded me of Ming the Merciless or maybe Cruella Deville; I could see Meredith wearing a cloak made of puppy skins.

I do not feel the story was as strong as Dani's recently released STORM WARRIOR which I really loved. This is a tough review because I really like Dani and feel she has a lot of talent. Sometimes things click for a reader, sometimes not so much. I will give the series a chance though. Dani's Changeling series got stronger from one book to the next so perhaps this series will too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Bite.

Started Reading