Kirsty's Reviews > When It Rains

When It Rains by Lisa De Jong

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2013

I think there is a right and a wrong way to do a love triangle.. (and dammit yes, this was a freaking triangle) unfortunately, for me, this was totally the wrong way.

Apparently I am in the minority here because everybody else on my Goodreads friends list absolutely loved this book. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but the ending pissed me off beyond belief and it made me feel like the rest of the book wasn't genuine and kind of a waste of my time. Yep, I'm mad.
"I hate him.
The old Kate is gone... and she's never coming back.
And I'll always hate when it rains."

Gah.. this book suckerpunched me right in the beginning. The prologue starts off and it's.. brutal. Many authors hint to something awful like (view spoiler) happening to a book character, but very few actually go in to the details. Lisa De Jong didn't hold back here, every raw, gritty and painful detail was there for the reader to appreciate and really get in to Kate's head. I felt for her straight away. So the fact I hate which turn things took in the end has no bearing on what happened to Kate, it's just a crappy way she dealt with things.
"I have lots of moments I'd like to hold on to forever, but I'm afraid they will always be overshadowed by that one horrible memory I can't let go of."

Kate has a best friend, Beau, who has been there for her every single day for the last two years. Since she has been dealing with the aftermath of that horrific night. Kate doesn't realise it, but Beau is really holding back on his feelings. He sees Kate as so much more than just a friend, but knowing she doesn't return his feelings he just plods along. Until he leaves for college and lays it all out on the table.. yep, that didn't go well. To be honest, I didn't dislike Beau, but I didn't like him either. I had no feeling whatsoever. I am sure that wasn't the authors intent, but because he wasn't actually present for a large chunk of the book, I found it way too hard to actually feel anything towards his character. I didn't know him.

And in comes Asher... I loved Asher instantly. There was just something about him and I knew from the off that he was going to be my choice. He was mysterious, hiding his own demons, but the feelings he had for Kate just shined through the pages. He was sweet, caring and had such a way with words. "I'd love to see you smile once in a while." I just enjoyed every single thing about his character. He didn't push Kate, he didn't force her to face something she wasn't ready for, he was patient and perfectly understanding. All throughout the book he was the perfect choice for Kate, in my eyes.

description

So why did I have such a problem with the book, especially the ending? I'm afraid I'm going to have to put this in a spoiler tag because there's no way I can share my feelings without spoiling the book. (view spoiler) I realise if you don't want to know details of the book, it's kind of hard to understand. I just don't appreciate it when an author takes a certain route when trying to get to the bottom of a love triangle. Unfortunately, that's what happened here and I don't agree with it at all.

It's so hard to rate this book because I did really, really enjoy it and I devoured it in such a short time. I only do that when I am really in to a book. And the writing was incredible.. it kept me engaged and interested, but I can't rate it 5* when I hated the ending so much. 3 stars seem harsh for such great writing, but is it a 4* read when I have such strong negative feelings towards it too? I don't know. I have to ponder it for a while. But for now, I'll leave you with this...

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When It Rains.

September 27, 2013 – Shelved
September 27, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 17, 2013 – Started Reading
October 17, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013
October 18, 2013 –
17.0% " "I'd love to see you smile once in a while." dammit I love Asher already :)"
October 19, 2013 –
100.0% "I am PISSED. That ending was all kinds of BS."
October 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Jenn Keller Great review Kristy, I was emotionally conflicted with the ending too. Other than that it was amazing.

Kirsty Jenn wrote: "Great review Kristy, I was emotionally conflicted with the ending too. Other than that it was amazing."

Thanks Jenn. It's so hard to figure out how you felt with an ending like that isn't it?

[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥ Fab review hun. Exactly like another book with a love triangle (view spoiler) I'm defo not reading this. Seems that everytime (view spoiler) not my fav storyline x

Kirsty I'm glad you see where I am coming from Ami. I'm feeling so bitter over the whole thing. I just feel like I picked the wrong team from the off, nobody seems to share my opinion LOL

Jeanne I felt the same way if that makes you feel better:)

Kirsty Jeanne wrote: "I felt the same way if that makes you feel better:)"

Oh thank god. FINALLY lol. I was thinking I was alone ;)

"That's All" Ash Awesome review, Kirsty!

Kirsty "That's All" Ash wrote: "Awesome review, Kirsty!"

Thank you! :)

Jenn Keller Kirsty wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Great review Kristy, I was emotionally conflicted with the ending too. Other than that it was amazing."

Yes I truly wish the author would have not gone the way she went with the ending.

Kirsty Jenn wrote: "Kirsty wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Great review Kristy, I was emotionally conflicted with the ending too. Other than that it was amazing."

Thanks Jenn. It's so hard to figure out how you felt with an end..."

I stopped reading first thing this morning and I am still feeling very bitter over it all :(

message 11: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Keller :( well now you need something funny. I wasn't bitter but I know what you mean; that is how I was with Taking Chances....I know a lot of people gave that 5 stars but I just couldn't.

Kirsty Jenn wrote: ":( well now you need something funny. I wasn't bitter but I know what you mean; that is how I was with Taking Chances....I know a lot of people gave that 5 stars but I just couldn't."
Oh jeez I 100% agree on that one! I am going for the total opposite of funny next lol.. The Missionary by Jack Wilder! Hopefully it will be good though :)

message 13: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Keller lol...Enjoy! I have not read it yet but I see that it has a lot of good reviews so I will definitely be stalking your updates.

Kirsty Jenn wrote: "lol...Enjoy! I have not read it yet but I see that it has a lot of good reviews so I will definitely be stalking your updates."

I have seen lots too, I'm hoping it's good :)

Jeanne (view spoiler)

Kirsty Jeanne wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

I agree 100%. Who the hell should be made to feel like second best?

message 17: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Fantastic review. And holy LOADED spoiler! I feel for ya hun, I would NOT be happy with that either... :/

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Great review! You're so right.....bad endings can totally ruin the experience, even if the rest of the book was amazing. I am just not a fan of live triangles, so I think I'm staying away from this one.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah *love.....oops!

Kirsty Thanks ladies, sorry for the massive spoiler but I had to rant somewhere LOL. Hopefully I wake up tomorrow and am over it cos right now I still feel a little cross!

Kirsty Lisa wrote: "Awesome review!"

Thanks, Lisa :)

Johanna Haha great review!! You weren't the only one that didn't loveeeee this book.. I thought it was ok.. So u r not alone my friend :))

Kirsty Johanna wrote: "Haha great review!! You weren't the only one that didn't loveeeee this book.. I thought it was ok.. So u r not alone my friend :))"

Woohoo that is like music to my ears LOL

Jeannette I totally agree about the ending. Not happy at all!

Carla Brown Kirsty, even though I gave 5 stats, I think I did because of the way the author made me feel in love with Asher; I could not believe he was gone ... Anyway I liked your review :)

message 26: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie I am so glad I read this review, I'm about 10% in and I already got the feeling about what would happen. I fell in love with Asher from the mention of him. I hate reading books where the "one" gets killed off. Thanks for this because I really don't want to read romance books with death. I read to get away from crappy things in life and I like my fantasy and sappy romances with a bit of angst. But having such a crappy death line? Total turn off for me. I thank you for writing this review.

message 27: by Cat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cat Jones I feel the same damn way. I was sooooo mad at about 74% through. Ugh! The ending was wrong, too. Just, UGH!!!

message 28: by Sam (new)

Sam Agh! That love triangle out frustrates me to no end!

Dayane Guanabara I don't believe that she chose Asher over Beau, she loved beau since the beginning, but she felt like she was not worth of him because of what happened. She was lucky to find Asher, someone who doesn't had exceptions of her, or that knew her before, someone who had something dark inside too, what made her stop feeling like a lone wolf. I loved Beau since the start of te book, and with the flow I start to love Asher so much that I couldn't figure out who she should end up with. This is something that does not happens often and I loved it. The ending was heartbreaking but I liked it too, Asher wanted her to be happy and smile all the time, he made it his job to help her find hapiness and it would be like a waste if she just dind't give it a chance with her first love that never was. I think that was what Asher would have wanted. Asher changed her life, and if he wasn't sick, I would probably say that she should end up with him, but he was sick, and it all made sense, the way he acted with her, his demons. He saved her and she gave in a love to make life good again, He died a happy man and loved, its really sad, its all anyone of us can wish for in the end. That why I don't think it was wrong of her to go after all that to Beau to live the love story that never happened, to be happy again. After all that went down she deserved to want to be happy again, and I guess that I will always loved Asher for giving it for her