Mason Frey's Reviews > Diamonds in the Shadow

Sep 29, 2009

liked it

Diamonds in the Shadow by Caroline B. Cooney
Review by Mason Frey

Diamonds in the Shadow takes place in current day Connecticut. The Finches are a family made up of Kara, a wife and mother of two children, Drew, the husband and father, Mopsy, the playful and crazy sixth grade daughter, and Jared, the unenthusiastic teenage son. And the refugees are Celestine, the mother of two children a boy and a girl, Andre, the handless husband and father, Alake, the teenage girl who doesn’t speak, and Mattu, the strong athlete-like teenage son who is incredibly optimistic and kind, who also has an unusual British accent the other refugees don’t possess.

In this book the Finches decide to take in a family of African refugees. The Finches job is to teach this refugee family how to properly function in America. The refugee family has no clothing except the rags they had in the refugee camp. The only other things they have are two egg cartons supposedly filled with the ashes of Mattu's and Alake's dead grandparents. The Finches teach the refugee family how to drive, shop, work, use the internet, and basically live their new life. At first the Finches don't notice the little things that Jared and Mopsy begin to see, like the fact that Andre won't look at his daughter and the refugee parents don’t seem to care about their children. Soon the Finch children get suspicious. What's really in those egg cartons? What the Finches don’t know is that there was a fifth refugee on the plane from Africa and that he is trying to harm the refugee family that they took into their household.

This book is a great mystery book because it is full of suspense and secrets. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to sit down and read a good suspense-filled book.
Caroline B. Cooney has written many other great books and won many awards. She also wrote Code Orange and Face on the Milk Carton. I like that this gets a point across about how bad it is for some people in Africa right now and that one American family taking in a refugee family and teaching them how to live in their new home can make a big difference in their lives. This is one of my favorite books I've read. It is the first book I have read that made me stop and think about how hard it must be to blend into a new culture when you have been scarred and left for dead in a country where there is no law. This book made me realize what great lives Americans have in a country where there is peace and law and freedom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diamonds in the Shadow.

message 1: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt nice review mason