Nicole's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

This is a wonderful historical fiction. It is well-written and in such a creative way. My husband and I (before he was my husband) wrote letters to each other for 2 years while he was a missionary, and I have always loved the unique element that brought to our relationship. Getting to know each other through words, through time. It is special. This book is written completely in letters between the characters; it's how Juliet falls in love with her Guernsey friends before she ever meets them. And I fell in love with them all too, in that unique way that letter writing provides. The characters come alive, even the ones that are no longer living at the time of the telling. Pretty amazing how much you can care for a character that you never actually "meet" in the book.

The time period is just after WWII and a lot has been written about that time period. But this one is different. Even if you are a WWII expert, don't pass this one by. One of my favorite historical aspects of it was learning more about life after the war, particularly for those in Europe whose homes had been bombed, who were living in rubble and with very little to help them rebuild their lives. And I had no idea that the island of Guernsey even existed before reading this, and I certainly had no idea it was occupied by the Nazis. Now I want to visit Guernsey just as much as I'd like to see Prince Edward Island or Hogwarts for that matter, all because of the beauty of this book.

Even though war and the pain that it brings are a theme of the book, it still winds up as uplifting and fun. I laughed, I cried, I pondered. I learned and relished every word. I love the every theme it presented including the history, the romance, the strength of character, and the power of books and reading in our lives. I have read the book twice so far and I am absolutely certain there will be a third reading. And a 4th, and 5th, etc.

Finished Reading
September 28, 2009 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

DreamPacker I agree. I thought the book very creatively written.