David Mullen's Reviews > The Good Dream

The Good Dream by Donna VanLiere

Sep 25, 2013

Recommended for: fans of Jan Karen

I am loving this book. It feels like Flanerry O'connor. I give only it only 4 stars cuz I wasn't done. Now that I am I think 4 and a half would be the rating I'd give it. I felt as if I entered into this story with the characters. And, as they are so close to my locale in real life, the settings and characters rang as true as old friends. The redemptive arc of the story, seemed to me, to hit just the right tone without getting too smarmy. In fact in some places it was down right gritty. A tough feat, as I know Miss Van Liere's audience target and they don't like real...they like sweet. This is both. But it is very carefully and lovingly written. Get this book. In fact get 2 and give one to a friend and tell them that this is what a believers art ought to look like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Dream.

September 25, 2013 – Started Reading
September 25, 2013 – Shelved
September 25, 2013 –
20.0% "I am loving this book. It feels like Flanerry O'connor. I give only 4 starsbecause I'm not far enough along with it to decide if the plot etc are enough to make it 5 stars."
November 3, 2013 –
90.0% "I am loving this book. It feels like Flanerry O'connor. I give only it only 4 stars cuz I'm not done."
November 18, 2013 – Finished Reading