Kathie H's Reviews > Portrait of an Unknown Woman

Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett

Sep 28, 2009

Recommended for: Young adults on up
Read in October, 2009

A fascinating piece of historical fiction. I enjoyed this book from start to finish. Believable & engrossing, the story begins just before Henry VIII kicks his first wife to the proverbial curb. It's a story of Thomas More, his fanatical religious fervor & passions, & his family & hangers-on, one of which was Hans Holbein, the German painter. The characters are deftly sketched which pulled me right into the plot. I highly recommend this if you enjoy biographies of the Tudors & the players in all the intrigues they caused.

The reader of this book is Josephine Bailey. I found her narration to be sublime. I would love to have a voice like hers! She handled the various nationalities & ages of the characters with stunning effect. I'll look for other audiobooks she reads. One small issue I had with her narration was that I wish she'd spoken a bit slower. I rewound the audiobook to catch what I couldn't on the first listen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Portrait of an Unknown Woman.