Rebecca Hart's Reviews > Eye of the Soul

Eye of the Soul by Terri Rochenski

bookshelves: 2013-reads

4.5 Stars for this wonderful fantasy series debut!

I have to premise this review with a short statement of truth.

I've known the author for a few years, and have seen this story grow and flourish over the course of that time. I am baised in my joy for Terri in getting this tale published, and for all of you for getting the opportunity to enjoy it. That being wholeheartedly admitted to, here is my review.

I'm an epic fantasy geek, and this story really appealed to this part of my nature. While reading, I was often reminded of the epic adventures I would take with my fellow gamers in some RP world or another. (Yes, that much of a geek...) Beyond the fabulously described world, the diverse cast of characters came to life in a way that appealed to that sort of group quest mentality.

Hyla, the faithful, spiritual one. Set on her mission and the good of her people, despite all obstacle and self doubt. Her two male counterparts, Jadon and Conlin, each with their own set of enviable traits, and personality "drawbacks". They're the best of friends, both virile, handsome... Room for romantic tension in later novels, perhaps? This thought bounced around in the back of my head throughout the adventure.

But, every band of potential heroes needs a nemesis. A bad guy to fight against.

This is where a story either rocks of flops in my book. Yes, for me, a story is only as good as its bad guy character. And, this is where, Ms. Rochenski's debut novel really shined for me. The High Priest, Belwig, is perfectly ruthless, deadly in his intentions, and ominous to get my attention and keep it. He gave me the creeps, and I just love when that happens. I don't write any spoilers in my reviews as a rule, so I have to leave it there, but I really, really liked the Belwig character. I do like my bad guys...

Anyway, if you are a fan of fantasy with some romantic potential peppered in, I would give this one high marks, and make it a highly recommend novel to pick up. A stellar debut from Ms. Rochenski, and I am looking forward to more from her and her Pool of Souls series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eye of the Soul.

September 25, 2013 – Started Reading